Molting E in Bacterial Bloom & Lost Limbs

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

p2gg86

Re: Molting E in Bacterial Bloom & Lost Limbs

Post by p2gg86 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:16 am

Very nice vids. I hope Eddie will get his molt soon!

I also have a crab named Eddy lol and he is a large PP.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:16 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Great video! I’m glad he likes those! I hope he likes the other items as well! Image Yw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eddie munched on everything you sent! I think his favorite are the Crawfish, whitefish, and calcium carbonate.

Today is the end of his second full week of hand feeding and being in ISO. His appetite has been very consistent and is still very active when placed in his crabby holder. He is the perfect size to prop him up in an upside down water jug cap. I started putting him in that to feed. Rather than holding him. It seems to be a little easier on me and Eddie doesn't seem to mind either.

Crabby Kickstand.

He is still a typical E being a fussy/picky eater. When he does like something there isn't much left on the end of the spoon. I still have a hard time judging how much they can actually eat until they are full. Judging from what I hand feed him every day he appears to eat approximately 1/16 of a teaspoon of different foods!

So far I still only see that one gel limb on his rear leg. It does appear to be growing since I discovered it early last week. I still didn't see any more sprout on him.

Gel Limb in the back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:27 pm

I have heard of crabs here that grew limbs back a few at a time, but I've never experienced that myself.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:46 pm

I was actually thinking that may be the case with Eddie. Especially with losing everything but one leg.

Perhaps their body picks priority of importance to regenerate? Also how well they are eating, drinking and storing energy can influence that too?

Having a rear leg on both sides would definitely help his mobility. I would think being mobile would be the highest priority considering he can still technically eat without claws. Plus having to regenerate 3 legs and 2 claws at once would potentially take a lot of energy, possibly more than they have, to regrow in one molt .

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:36 pm

Wow that is a pretty long time!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:11 am

good luck! your little guy WILL pull through! he is strong and i know he will make it! after reading all of this, i just have this feeling that tells me he will survive.
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:49 am

Update on Eddie since I haven't posted for two days. He is still active but his eating seems to have slowed down a bit compared to previous days. He picks at calciums, animal proteins and the occasional plant items but not almost everything like before. He seems to be enjoying the fresh water baths more than the salt water too. With his care coming up on 3 weeks next week he may be preparing for a molt soon. I still only see that one gel limb too.

Here are two pictures of Eddie trying to climb outImageImage

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:00 pm

little determined cutie! he looks so sweet! i know he will make it! hoping for a molt soon! please send more pics! he is a very cute crab!

also, i read a forum about honey that helps heal infections? maybe that could help?

i am rooting and praying for you guys!
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:03 pm

He is so precious, I love those pictures. Such a little sweetheart! We are rooting for you, Eddie!
How are you going to know when he’s ready to go? I apologize, I hope that question doesn’t seem ignorant. Are you just going to keep doing what your doing until you go in and one day he has shed his exo?

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:20 pm

This should definitely be in the Injured Crab sticky. I also believe he will pull through, he seems to have a lot of will!
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:54 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:He is so precious, I love those pictures. Such a little sweetheart! We are rooting for you, Eddie!
How are you going to know when he’s ready to go? I apologize, I hope that question doesn’t seem ignorant. Are you just going to keep doing what your doing until you go in and one day he has shed his exo?
I'm following everything I read in the attacked crab care guideline. I also read up on the other

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=92528

Pretty much once they stop eating and drinking they are getting ready to molt. After a few days of that I will dig a hole and put him in it, unburied, and place a hide over him. Then I will stress out until he resurfaces. Once he is back up I will repeat the process until he regrows everything.

From what others experienced with their crabs they were showing molting signs between 15- 27 days. I'm in that window now at 17 days with Eddie. I'll give him until Friday to see if his appetite changes. It changed for a day or two the other week so I don't want to rush him into a molt.

I'm hoping he decides to molt by mid week next week. I need to go to Orlando for work next Saturday for 5 days. So him molting then would be ideal.

I'm really nervous about when he goes to molt. That is when we lost our other two E's. I think one was cannibalism, the other may have been due to the substrate being too dry and sucked the moisture from his soft exo.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:58 pm

purplepincher wrote:little determined cutie! he looks so sweet! i know he will make it! hoping for a molt soon! please send more pics! he is a very cute crab!

also, i read a forum about honey that helps heal infections? maybe that could help?

i am rooting and praying for you guys!
Eddie has always been one of our favorites. He always seemed to have a ton of personality compared to other crabs. I can't wait until our little racing crab is back in action on his wheel!

I have been giving him raw organic honey and bee pollen every day. Every other day or so he also gets organic coconut oil and peanut butter too.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:44 pm

I came to the conclusion Eddie is like trying to feed a baby. If I set him in a bottle cap on his own with food in front of him he tries to crawl around and do anything but eat. I have way better results when I hold him in one hand and the spoon in the other. So much for trying to multi task at feeding time. Sigh!

He chowed down on bee pollen, brine shrimp eggs, powdered whole eggs, gammarus shrimp, wild salmon, beef lung, Azomite, and plant mix #1. When I fed him peanut butter on a swab he planted his face and body right in it and chomped away! Silly!

He didn't see interested in calcium carbonate, blue popcorn, broccoli, or either crab exo.

Another plus today I noticed another gel limb! This one is on his right side (small claw side). That makes two now. The other one looks a bit weird. Fat at the end, then skinny toward his body. I would think it's going to be a claw but it's in the rear of his body.

I thought of something I tried out for him a little bit. He seems to like to try and move around and be active in the bottle cap. Sooooo, I made a little pen for him out of crab mesh so he won't scoot off the table. I call it the crabby bumper car! I even put a contact on the back of the car/cap! I figure since he seems to want to crawl around this may help him do so while he is under a UVB bulb.

First Gel Limb

New Gel Limb

One Way Only! No Head On Collisions!
Crabby Bumper Car

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:33 pm

Haha!!! I love the crabby bumper car, that is the best! I am soo glad he is gaining his gel limbs, I really hope he continues to get more. He is doing so great! Come on Eddie, you can do it little buddy! Keep eating good and gaining strength to have the best molt you can! We’re praying for you, Eddie!

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:48 am

i am so happy for you!