Molting or just buried?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Pebbles

Molting or just buried?

Post by Pebbles » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:55 am

How do you determine if a crab is molting or just destressing??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
15 year old that loves pets. My mom wont let me get a fourth crab tho cuz apparently her house would be a zoo and Rock, Pebbles, and Boulder are enough.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Molting or just buried?

Post by curlysister » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:22 am

You don't. LOL.
Time will tell - when the crab re-surfaces, you should be able to tell if it has molted or not.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Daffy

Post by Daffy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:17 pm

How long does molting take? It has been over 2 weeks my 2 have been buried. I keep changing the water, (fresh & salt), and food daily. Never touched. Tank doesn't smell.

Topic author
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:25 pm

Daffy wrote:How long does molting take? It has been over 2 weeks my 2 have been buried. I keep changing the water, (fresh & salt), and food daily. Never touched. Tank doesn't smell.
It depends on their size. I have three and two have been buried for about a month now. I just let them be. They'll come out on their own.

15 year old that loves pets. My mom wont let me get a fourth crab tho cuz apparently her house would be a zoo and Rock, Pebbles, and Boulder are enough.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:31 pm

They can stay under for months. The smaller they are the quicker it takes but since you never know, just enjoy your "pet sand". Just never dig for them. Keep putting food out. You can do just dry food.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:09 pm

My larger crab, Sonny, always molts faster than my smaller crab, Cher. Although I caught her above ground for literally one evening, and then she went back down. So maybe her actual molt isn't taking longer, maybe she just likes hanging out under there before or after her molt. She went down May long weekend, came up for one evening in August, then went down again until last weekend! Sonny went down in May and came up in late July.
When both are down, I use dry food only, so I don't have to change it as much.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:47 pm

Daffy wrote:How long does molting take? It has been over 2 weeks my 2 have been buried. I keep changing the water, (fresh & salt), and food daily. Never touched. Tank doesn't smell.
I rescued my Petunia on 8/24/19. She went under right away. She just came up last night 10/12/19. So about 7 weeks. She's about quarter size when retracted in her shell. I'm not sure if she molted or not, she might have just been destressing since she wasn't living in proper conditions. So they can hang out "underground" for quite a while. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Daffy wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:17 pm
How long does molting take? It has been over 2 weeks my 2 have been buried. I keep changing the water, (fresh & salt), and food daily. Never touched. Tank doesn't smell.
Like the others have said, it can vary between each of them, especially because of differences in size.

When I got my first 4, the bigger one was underground for 2-3 months. Might have even been 4, but it's been awhile so I can't remember exactly. But the rest of my smaller ones usually are only down for about a month or two.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

Topic author
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:14 pm

My crab is back and it has a lot more hair. What does that mean??

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:34 pm

Pebbles wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:14 pm
My crab is back and it has a lot more hair. What does that mean??

It molted. It probably has tiny black "fingernails".
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:37 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote: It molted. It probably has tiny black "fingernails".
Black fingernails??

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:14 pm

Pebbles wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:37 pm
Black fingernails??

The tips of their claws.

Topic author
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:54 pm

Doesn't look like it

ImageImage

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:29 pm

That's ok. It's hard to tell though since he's holding onto the mesh.