Curious about surface molts....

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

Curious about surface molts....

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:52 am

I have been reading a lot of posts about hermies surface molting. Why do they do this when nature tells them to dig down into substrate? I thankfully have not had any of mine surface molt, but now I am thinking that I am on borrowed time.

I know that it must indeed be a cool site to see, but I really rather not look!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:16 pm

A few months ago one of my PP did a surprise surface molt in my main tank. I did not have an ISO available at that time so I left him alone. My first molter was using the ISO. He just stayed between the water dish and the coco hut. His 2nd molt he made a little nest under the coco hut in a corner and just covered the door close with sand. He came out about a month ago to a darker purple color.

Topic author
Gorthaur

Post by Gorthaur » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:45 pm

Surface molts are most common with newer crabs who were not able to molt at the petstore. They have delayed molting for so long that they will do it as soon as possible, even if it means not digging down. Other crabs may choose to surface molt because they are too weak to dig, or too far along in the molting process already. Of 37 molts I have experienced, none were on the surface.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:58 pm

My crabs are funny with their molts. Their substrate is calcisand...I keep it dry and let them wet it when they want to. Which they do, they dig and bury all the time for the fun of it, and unless I clean the tank, I don't bother them. However, I have had six very successful molts and all have been surface molts...I don't understand why, but if they are doing it successfully, I guess I'm fine with it.

Surface molts are scary though. I never know when they happen. I'll just pick up a crab during cleaning, and it's exo falls out to greet me! My heart jumps every time it happens.

Topic author
Gorthaur

Post by Gorthaur » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:40 pm

CGRM32 - It's certainly a good thing that your crabs are molting successfully, but the fact that they are always surface molting means that something about the substrate isn't working. Calci-sand is an acceptable substrate, but it's expensive and doesn't reach the right consistency. Proper consistency and depth are essential for molting. I suggest at least trying a section of play sand or CF to see if your crabs prefer it. If they stay on their calci-sand, you can always take out the other substrate.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:14 am

Thanks for the tip. I will try something else, is it bad that they are surface molting? They do dig under for the fun of it, but they just don't seem to want to molt under the sand. I tried CF, and they all ran on top of things to get off of it :? I don't know, maybe my crabs are just weird, but I'll try putting some other substrate in half of the tank to see what happens. I'm thinking playsand would be good? Should I make it sand castle wet?

Topic author
Gorthaur

Post by Gorthaur » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:40 pm

It's not necessarily bad that they are surface molting, but surface molting is neither safe nor natural for the crabs.
My Indos and PPs are the only crabs that ever go on the EE, but other crabbers never see their crabs on play sand. I've never had a crab that did not like play sand. Make it sandcastle wet.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:55 pm

My first molt was a surface molt. And it was a very scary expirience. I have no idea why they do this but all my other crabs have dug down to molt.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:41 pm

Gorthaur wrote:It's not necessarily bad that they are surface molting, but surface molting is neither safe nor natural for the crabs.
My Indos and PPs are the only crabs that ever go on the EE, but other crabbers never see their crabs on play sand. I've never had a crab that did not like play sand. Make it sandcastle wet.
That's interesting...
My E's won't get OFF of the second level CF. I have one who spend days at a time up there lol.

Only one PP has ever climbed up there.