When do I take out of iso?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

When do I take out of iso?

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:24 pm

So I have a crab that has been in iso 3 weeks now. His molt wasn't the greatest...he lost 2 limbs during the molt, 1 leg and the large pincher claw. They came off with the exo. Anyhow, we are grateful he is doing well (mostly thanks to all of you who helped when I posted "possible molt gone bad?"), although he has not touched the exo. I am assuming this is due to having no large pincher claw to help crush it to eat, but then I am no expert. We have found him in both the water and food dish, so I am assuming he is able to get something. Anyhow, how do I know when it is time to put him back with the rest? He isn't the most active (but then he never was), but he does come out and watch. He just isn't walking around too much. He is a large crab, I'd say, but not Jumbo by any means. We have 8, and he is definitely the biggest. Thanks for any advice you can give. This is our first molt!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:43 pm

It seems like he's doing well if he's eating and drinking. Does he still have a pink coloring to him? If he does, maybe leave him in ISO a little longer, but I would think that he should be ready to be re-introduced to the main tank. One word of advice, when putting a molted crab back in the main tank, it's a good idea to give a bath to all of the crabs in the tank so that they all smell the same and no one can pick out the molter. Also, since the molter didn't eat his exo, throw it into the main tank...one of the crabs will eat it. Hope this helps, and congrats on your first molter!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:12 pm

I'm thinking he should still eat his exo. Can you beat it or blend it to a finer consistancy? Put it in the food dish. Some is better than none I think.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon May 01, 2006 9:47 am

I bathed all the crabs and put him back with the others. I just threw the exo away...it smelled. I think some was the exo, and part must have been his actual limb that he lost during the molt...I don't know. I am 7 months pregnant, and the smell was making me gag- horribly. I still worry, cuz he really can't walk too good...he has only one leg on one side, and 2 legs and the small pincher on the other. It is a bit lopsided. I am hoping as he gets stronger and adjusts, he'll do better. It makes me really sad. How long til they usually molt again? Has anyone had a "handicapped" crab before? Do I help him get to the food and water dish every once in a while, or just let him go? It just looks like trying to walk takes A LOT of energy!!! It is funny how raising a little $5 crab can really pull at your heartstrings.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon May 01, 2006 9:56 am

A crab that is struggling like that will sometimes regain energy by eating and go down again for a molt to regenerate its lost limbs. I wouldn't worry too much about him, as long as he seems to be able to move around. If you are concerned, you could place him in the food dish for a little while every day to make sure he's able to get some food in him. Also, watch your other crabs. If it seems like they are beginning to bully this one, I suggest putting him in ISO again. Unless that happens, I would recommend just letting him do his own thing in the main tank. Crabs know what they are doing, and I'm sure he'll do what is necessary for his health.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon May 01, 2006 10:01 am

Thanks! That makes me feel much better.

Dawn
Founding Member
Founding Member

My own personal rules

Post by Dawn » Mon May 01, 2006 1:49 pm

I have a rule that I always follow because it's hard to tell when they are ready...When they climb something they are strong enough to go back in the main tank. I usually have something in isolation that they can climb or move and when they start turning the cabana over and climbing around on the limbs and things, it's time.

And if they are in the main thank and huddled in a cabana all day long and don't climb or move at least to the water dish or food dish in several days...Into isolation they go...

I decided along time ago that if Land Hermit Tree Crabs aren't climbing, they are sick or too weak...
Hermit crab LOVER since March 2003.

If my advice doesn't help, please PM me right away. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/ddisomma