Ecuadorian leaves his shell for sea biscuit?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
EmilyElizabeth

Ecuadorian leaves his shell for sea biscuit?

Post by EmilyElizabeth » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:06 am

My new Ecuadorian (by about a month) has left his suitable shell and disregarded the many better ones I offered and has decided to wear one of the decorations! He has been in it since I checked on him at six this morning. I had a good laugh at him but is this safe? I am concerned because there is a hole in the top that his abdomen will dry out. Is there a way to encourage him to move to another shell?

Hermiesguardian

Re: Ecuadorian leaves his shell for sea biscuit?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:35 am

EmilyElizabeth wrote:My new Ecuadorian (by about a month) has left his suitable shell and disregarded the many better ones I offered and has decided to wear one of the decorations! He has been in it since I checked on him at six this morning. I had a good laugh at him but is this safe? I am concerned because there is a hole in the top that his abdomen will dry out. Is there a way to encourage him to move to another shell?

I'm sorry I can't help you at all with this, being new, not knowing anything about E's. But I had to say I got a good laugh too. :hlol: Let him know we're not laughing at him, but with him. I understand the desire to be different. I have blue hair (which I change for the seasons) and most of my tattoos have been acquired in the last 5 years. I'm 55 yrs old and my husband is pretty conservative but puts up with me. I love that your crab chose the decoration but I understand your concern. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good advice here.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:48 am

:shock:

WHY DON'T WE HAVE A SLOW BLINK SMILIE?

I have officially seen everything, that crab wins the internet.

Seriously though. OMG. Can you see his abdomen through the hole?? You sure there isn't a shell stuck under there?

Do you have several shell options for him in various sizes? Because they modify their shells over time, when they go to size up they often make a jump to a much bigger shell in order for their abdomens to fit in one that still has an inner spiral. They like moon shells, tonna, tun, and lightweight turbos.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:54 am

Wow!! I know they'll wear just about anything they can find in the wild due to the shell shortage or lack of finding proper shells. BUT I've never seen this in captivity! And if you didn't have a pic attached, I prob wouldn't have believed you. Wish I had answers for you... That's crazy tho!

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:36 am

That's sooooooo cute!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:43 pm

I haf... no words. :smt017

No, crab: that is not shell!

Only. Wear. Shells!

:banghead:
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:06 pm

Omg. That’s the best thing I’ve seen in a long while (lol!) The picture is hilarious! Where are his eyes??? My eyesight sucks so I am sure I am totally missing them in the pic. I think anything covering his abd is better than nothing. Maybe changing out his shell selection a bit, giving them a quick dunk in the MSW pool to make them more enticing will help? He’s a cutie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:30 am

Aww, he looks like he has a cute lil afro happening.... i love it.

Just offer a good selection and hope he changes into something a bit more suitable... is his old shell still free?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:00 pm

Awe. So cute, and pitiful. I would boil the shells you have in dechlorinated fw- and then dip them in dechlorinated msw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:55 pm

That’s the craziest thing I’ve seen yet!
Hopefully you do manage to persuade him into a real “shell” soon!
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:03 pm

This is my favorite post from 2017.

Hilarious and adorable.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Is there an update on this lil one?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
EmilyElizabeth

Post by EmilyElizabeth » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:59 am

Well, it took five days but he has finally moved into an actual shell. I gave him many (freshly cleaned) to pick from and he tried several on, he seemed to attracted to the shiniest shells of all, and he made his choice of a silver turbo shell which was a little odd. I will be moving him from the isolation tank back into the larger terrarium with his friends today :crabbigsmile: . Thanks for all your suggestions!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:13 am

EmilyElizabeth wrote:Well, it took five days but he has finally moved into an actual shell. I gave him many (freshly cleaned) to pick from and he tried several on, he seemed to attracted to the shiniest shells of all, and he made his choice of a silver turbo shell which was a little odd. I will be moving him from the isolation tank back into the larger terrarium with his friends today :crabbigsmile: . Thanks for all your suggestions!
:D
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:16 am

EmilyElizabeth wrote:Well, it took five days but he has finally moved into an actual shell. I gave him many (freshly cleaned) to pick from and he tried several on, he seemed to attracted to the shiniest shells of all, and he made his choice of a silver turbo shell which was a little odd. I will be moving him from the isolation tank back into the larger terrarium with his friends today :crabbigsmile: . Thanks for all your suggestions!
My Eccie also is in a turbo. A Mexican Turbo which I got for a great deal of 24 shells for $11.00
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!