Can I Use Washed Buffet Sea Snail Shells for Crabs?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
DinkDonk

Can I Use Washed Buffet Sea Snail Shells for Crabs?

Post by DinkDonk » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I know I just posted a question a few minutes ago, so I see this post as a double whammy. Am I able to use shells from the buffet for use for my hermit crabs? My family went to a buffet, and they were serving these steamed sea snails, which I chose primarily for the shell. When I got home, I extracted as much sea snail meat as I can, and I washed these in dechlorinated water, and let them soak in some more dechlorinated water for about 3 days. I then let them air-dry for about a month now. Am I able to use these shells for hermit crabs? Thank you.

Edit: one I expected this shells from the water, I peeled off these flakes of what looks like shell pigment on the outside. I also have a picture of the shells. Image

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can I Use Washed Buffet Sea Snail Shells for Crabs?

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:42 am

The picture didnt work for me...

But the shells are fine after a boil IMO. The boil should of removed much contaminants (and steriling them).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
DinkDonk

Post by DinkDonk » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:43 am

Oh yeah, I don't think the image works as well, since I think I need to use Tapatalk to upload images, as right now I'm primarily using my phone browser, and I can't seem to figure it out! And that's great, I've saved a handful of bucks on shells, and yes, I've already boiled them. Thanks for your help again tonight Auss!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:05 am

DinkDonk wrote:Oh yeah, I don't think the image works as well, since I think I need to use Tapatalk to upload images, as right now I'm primarily using my phone browser, and I can't seem to figure it out! And that's great, I've saved a handful of bucks on shells, and yes, I've already boiled them. Thanks for your help again tonight Auss!
To upload pictures without using tapatalk, you need to use an image sharing site (like flickr, imagr ect)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies