Where is the best place to buy shells ?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Phoebe21

Where is the best place to buy shells ?

Post by Phoebe21 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:45 pm

I am not sure where to buy good shells I want to save money but buy the best good shells for my babies I have two med-large crabs and 2 very small ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Re: Where is the best place to buy shells ?

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:18 pm

Check out the link in my signature. There are a few places listed there. I have had pretty good luck ordering shells from Naples in the past. Ken Lipe who is part owner of The Shell Store. Their website is impossible to navigate. He and his wife were selling shells at Crab Con last year and the shells were amazing. He knows his shells and is very experienced with shells for hermits. I would try to contact him about ordering shells. I know he does a lot of sales through Facebook.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

craboloading

Post by craboloading » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:41 pm

Adding a second recommendation for Naples. I have placed 2 or 3 orders with them as my PPs have grown in the past year & I have found them the easiest site to navigate. Plus super easy to review your last order summary (save the email!) and see what size shells you last bought and just size up in the styles that were popular. :)
3 PPs: Beacon the Two Pound Crab of Light and Purity & Scuttles the Shadow Crab of Darkness and Desparity ~ 2/10/19 and Felicity Crab-19 ~ 5/24/20
1 Orange Cat: Chloe Hannah ~ 4/2015

Cheryl B

Post by Cheryl B » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:57 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:18 pm
Check out the link in my signature. There are a few places listed there. I have had pretty good luck ordering shells from Naples in the past. Ken Lipe who is part owner of The Shell Store. Their website is impossible to navigate. He and his wife were selling shells at Crab Con last year and the shells were amazing. He knows his shells and is very experienced with shells for hermits. I would try to contact him about ordering shells. I know he does a lot of sales through Facebook.
Thanks for your reply!
I clicked on your signature and didn't see any info for the site you recommend for shell buying.
If The Shell Store's website is not easy to navigate how are you contacting them to purchase shells
What is Crab Con? As you can tell I'm new to this site.
Thanks for your help
Cheryl B

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:00 am

Here's Motor's list:

viewtopic.php?f=122&t=119315
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:44 pm

Cheryl B wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:57 am
Thanks for your reply!
I clicked on your signature and didn't see any info for the site you recommend for shell buying.
If The Shell Store's website is not easy to navigate how are you contacting them to purchase shells
What is Crab Con? As you can tell I'm new to this site.
Thanks for your help
Cheryl B
You can try to contact Ken through their Facebook page as well. They do have several shell deals on there. Their phone number is also listed on their page. I'll try and reach out to Ken and see if I can get a better answer for you.
In the meantime here is the link to their Facebook page.
https://facebook.com/theshellstorefl/

Crab Con was started by Mary Akers and another hermit crab group last year. Mary is the only person in the US that has successfully bred hermit crabs and got the babies onto land. Last year Crab Con started off as simply a fun, informal adoption weekend for her babies. It slowly morphed into a hermit crab convention with vendors, and speakers. It was a lot of fun. A lot more planning and thought is going into this years exent. It will be exciting to see how much better it will be!
Here is the link with all the info about this years Crab Con.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=121125&hilit=Crab+ ... 0#p1085628

This is the one thread I could find about the 2019 Crab Con. You can see a picture of two of the shells Ken had to offer. His prices were so good on his shells!
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120612
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities