help ID this plant

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

help ID this plant

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:42 pm

Please help me identify this common weed that grows in nearly every yard in Southern Colorado and probably many other states…

I can tell you that it is some sort of milkweed that grows about knee-high. Tank ate some and didn’t suffer any harmful effects, but I have a longer trial planned for it. Just never heard anyone call it by an actual name before.

ripshaw
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by ripshaw » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 pm

wait til it flowers and then take a pic and it will be easier to identify. i cant find any milkweeds with leaves shaped like that...but there are over 140 varieties and i didnt look that hard lol
~ Rip Tang, female crabber!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:17 pm

What colour does it flower? I think it might be a weed called l'lady's thumb', or Polygonum persicaria. The page I found the name on says it is related to the buckwheat family. It grows here, too, in southweat Ontario.

Topic author

insignificant flowers

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:53 pm

If it flowers, the blossoms are insignificant. I guess it must flower to get those little seed pods (tiny green balls on top of plant). It definitely isn't like the photo you posted.

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:29 pm

Hmmmm no idea Jedi, Im sure I have seen them up here but I dont know what they are called... :?
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Christa

Post by Christa » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:08 am

It sort of looks like poison ivy but is a darker green. Which reminds me, Jedi Sena if you don't have this book I highly recommend it:

Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants

Of course you probably do already but if not I thought I'd mention it. :) I love that book and reference it often when trying to find out what's what around here in Massachusetts. You'd probably need a more western version tho.

I'll look thru my book and see if I can find it.

hc!
Christa
~~ The HCA ~~ the original and still the best -- ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS
Ting-Tang (Walla walla bing bang!)
Crabbing since 1974
http://www.hermit-crabs.com

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:27 pm

I always go to my local university extension office for stuff like that…Colorado State offers one… http://www.ext.colostate.edu/, not sure if it’s near you.

SunnyKrab
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by SunnyKrab » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:52 pm

I will ask around some of my gardening forums and see what I can come up with!
Blog link->Veggie My Love
Started - 6/21/2003 9 Assorted Hermies!!~~RIP Crew

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:30 pm

The flower is always significant to identifying a plant species. Take it from a BS in Business Administration (because I took a whole year of Botany as an elective and spent spring mornings keying flowers for credit)! :P