Eating a lot at once

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
mxxlane

Eating a lot at once

Post by mxxlane » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:47 am

My crabs do this thing sometimes where they’ll eat SO much one night and then seem not to eat much for awhile after. Is this normal? I know they eat so little it’s almost unnoticeable but at the same time, I’ve seen them clean a big bowl before in one night. Does anyone else have this happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian_T

Re: Eating a lot at once

Post by Brian_T » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:09 am

I can't speak to it being normal, but it my crabs do that every so often. I usually think it's just one crab that's the culprit and maybe it's just getting ready to molt or just came up from a molt.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Rawrgeous » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:17 am

I have it happen too. I just figure they know whether they are hungry or not. I offer and if they take it great, if not whatever. :) I think Brian may be on to something there though.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:51 am

I have observed that my crabs will eat a lot if I serve something that smells, or if it was one or more of their favorited foods.
They typically eat more after molts, but this isn't all true. It was usually said that a crab will eat before a molt, but again that isn't always the case.

It's recommended to always feed your crabs a very rounded diet with plenty of options.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!