Sorting food according to importance

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
crabby33

Sorting food according to importance

Post by crabby33 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:18 pm

Has anyone ever thought of organizing food in mason jars sorted by importance according to the food pyramid? Like having a medley of freeze dried insects and animal and plant proteins, harvestables, calcium, and other. This is what I’m thinking of doing to meet all of my guys’ dietary needs and it makes them so much fun to feed!

Motörcrab

Re: Sorting food according to importance

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:38 pm

I tried making daily meal bags where I would put all the different types of food they were going to get in a big bag. I kept all the individual food bags separate in the larger bag. I think I had up to 8 different meals planned out. That way for each feeding I could easily just change to the next days menu.

Eventually I started running out of this or that then got different foods and eventually abandoned that method.

I thought about making larger pre mixes but decided against it. It could just be me but I tend to question how much of a mix crabs actually get. I think smaller bits tend to settle to the bottom and larger bits stay at the top of the container. Then they may get lots of larger stuff like dried crickets or leaves then very little of powdered items.

I think your way your crabs would be getting a little of each large container each day, so pretty much a little of everything you have? I think most owners like picking their individual foods each day so they can mix things up.

I really need to get some organization on most of my foods. I have bag upon bag, and jar after jar of stuff.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

RiNiKy506

Re: Sorting food according to importance

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:48 pm

That’s kind of what I did. I have quite a few mixes that I bought from Got Butterflies, mlakers, Hermie’s Kitchen, and HugsForHermits. I have little stackable screw on jars with lids, some in small glass jars, some still in baggies, and another little plastic container with small tic-tac looking containers inside of that. I use a straw with the end cut off a little bit as a tiny spoon to be able to get in the little containers and grab a little scoop and it normally is the perfect amount. I have little spoons that came with my orders but they’re too big for some of the smaller containers I have. I have a pea pod and flower dish from mlakers that I put little bits in, some spots I have two things in. Here’s a picture and breakdown of what I give.

Flower Food Bowl:
Lost At Sea and Wakeme Flakes
Holiday Lamb Dinner and Irish moss
Meadow Mix and Seed Mix
Worm Castings
Crabby Coconut Granola
Fruity Flowers
In Center Spot: Exo Mix and Green Sand

PeaPod Dish:
Bee Mine
Island Getaway
Walk in the woods
Farm Life
Color mix

I do put treats in the tank for them to find of fresh fruits or veggies and I just put a piece of cuttle bone in. I was crushing the cuttle bone and sprinkling it on their other foods but I decided to just put a piece in. I always put the same thing in the same order in their food dishes so they know where everything is and I want to make sure they have everything they need. I’ve recently been trying to look up more info on feeding bc I want to learn how to rotate their foods and mix things up a bit for them. I hope this is the kind of answer you were looking for and I’m not just rambling on.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«