Switching diets

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
asiankanye

Switching diets

Post by asiankanye » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:22 pm

So I have a hermit crab who’s mainly on pellets and coconuts. He does have a cuttlebone and occasionally gets fruits and vegetables, I’m sorry about that. Right now I’m changing my old 150 gallon tank to a brand new hermit crab terrarium. This is why I’ve been asking so many questions lately. So for a hermit crab, will I have to steadily switch it over to a better diet? I have new food items such as krill, oyster shells, honey, all the good stuff except I’m missing out a little bit on calcium. So would I give him like 1 krill a day and then steadily add more food items? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avocadocrabbies

Re: Switching diets

Post by avocadocrabbies » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:23 am

Sounds good to me- the cuttlebone and coconut sounds great, but I'd wean him off the pellets and add more fresh fruit n' veggies. The new food items are also highly recommended, so I think you can just switch it all in one go. Doing it slowly and steadily would be fine too though, I imagine.
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Topic author
asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:24 am

Alright, thank you!

Links

Post by Links » Sat May 02, 2020 9:33 am

Why not just feed the foods you want to now and keep the pellets in there as well Incase they still want the pellets. Then remove the pellets completely after some amount of time (days, weeks or months) or after they seem to stop eating the pellets. I never fed pellets but I don’t think mine were on pellets very long so I didn’t worry about abrupt diet change. I’d say in the wild their diet changes quite drastically depending on what they can find. If you don’t feel comfortable removing the pellets right away then I’d keep them in until I felt that it was ok to take them out. I don’t see the harm in quitting pellets abruptly but that’s me and may not be advised by experts.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun May 03, 2020 5:10 pm

The pellets are probably not the greatest for your crab. They usually contain lots of additives that are harmful.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92555

I would probably eliminate the pellets. Just be sure you are offering all aspects of the food pyramid.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554

With the nutrition guide the only thing I really change up is offering all food types every day. I believe most people do that anyway.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Sun May 03, 2020 5:12 pm

yup, i eliminated them pellets and he’s started to eat the krill, the flax seeds, and some apple and grape leaves i put out but no progress on the peanuts. guess it’s a waiting game now :p

Topic author
asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Sun May 03, 2020 5:13 pm

and there goes weird emote conversion from smileys