Sassafras Leaves

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Sassafras Leaves

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:50 pm

Hey everyone!

I have a ton of sassafras seedlings in my yard. I was wondering if the leaves were safe for crabs. I didn't see it on the safe or unsafe list. Thanks!!Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sassafras Leaves

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Sassafras has traditionally been used in many foods and medicines. However, it has been banned from commercial use in the United States due to high levels of safrole, which is potentially carcinogenic.

I personally wouldn’t risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Re: Sassafras Leaves

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:14 pm

JoeHermits wrote:Sassafras has traditionally been used in many foods and medicines. However, it has been banned from commercial use in the United States due to high levels of safrole, which is potentially carcinogenic.

I personally wouldn’t risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you JH! I picked a bunch of seedlings in the yard before my Mom mowed just in case I could use them. But it's def not worth the risk. I threw them in the woods behind my house.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav