Microgreens

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Cal

Microgreens

Post by Cal » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:43 pm

Hi everyone! I went to Target today and picked up a little growing kit for microgreens, which I’ve never heard of before! All three types of seeds included are safe for crabs (radish, kohlrabi, cabbage) but I’m not sure if it matters that they’re microgreens and not the normal vegetables?? On the box theres a picture that shows that they seem to end up looking sorta like chia! I’ll attach a picture. Basically, my question is: has anyone ever had experience with these microgreen varieties of vegetables, and are they safe? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam

Motörcrab

Re: Microgreens

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:24 pm

I have never grown my own microgreens from a kit. I have picked different varieties from local organic farms. The crabs seemed to enjoy them. I would say as long as the food as listed as safe it shouldn't matter if it is micro or not. I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to most foods.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:41 pm

Microgreens aren’t a special variety, they’re just regular vegetables harvested right after sprouting. They’ll grow into full-size plants with time and care.

Topic author
Cal

Post by Cal » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:50 pm

Motörcrab wrote:I have never grown my own microgreens from a kit. I have picked different varieties from local organic farms. The crabs seemed to enjoy them. I would say as long as the food as listed as safe it shouldn't matter if it is micro or not. I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to most foods.
Oh okay, thank you! I try and be super cautious too lol!

Topic author
Cal

Post by Cal » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:50 pm

JoeHermits wrote:Microgreens aren’t a special variety, they’re just regular vegetables harvested right after sprouting. They’ll grow into full-size plants with time and care.

Oh, I didn’t know that! That’s cool! I might try and grow some actual full-size plants from the kit too, lol!

Lobsterbob

Post by Lobsterbob » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:35 am

First of all, I think, you should try to grow something from this kit, because several times I had nothing after a week of waiting...