Food dehydrators

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
DustAndEchoes

Food dehydrators

Post by DustAndEchoes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:28 am

I'm looking into getting a food dehydrator sometime int the near future as part of my getting back into crabbing, but I really want to make sure I'm getting my moneys worth. What brands do other members of the forum use? Which should be avoided? What are some "learning" experiences do other members wish to share? What did members wish they knew about dehydrating foods before they tried it?

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:12 am

I've been through a lot of dehydrators and they never lasted more than a couple weeks! They really don't make them very well. But last year, I got a NESCO dehydrator and it's been a real trooper. I love it! It was like $50 and well worth it. I use it all the time.

I don't remember the brands of the crappy ones, though. Sorry.

:)
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

aquav

Post by aquav » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:07 am

wolfnipplechips wrote:I've been through a lot of dehydrators and they never lasted more than a couple weeks! They really don't make them very well. But last year, I got a NESCO dehydrator and it's been a real trooper. I love it! It was like $50 and well worth it. I use it all the time.

I don't remember the brands of the crappy ones, though. Sorry.

:)

I have a NESCO as well and love it.
Check out http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FD-75PR-700 ... 146&sr=8-1

It is a great machine, does everything you need and it's one of the cheaper ones.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Mahatma Gandhi

Xyloart

Post by Xyloart » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:51 am

Nesco nesco nesco!
Current critters: Cat, Corn Snake, Plated Lizard, two Bettas, 12 PPs, 10 Es, 6 Ruggies, 2 blueberries, 3 strawberries, 2 foster guinea pigs

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:21 am

I have the Nesco Snackmaster.

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:53 am

After hearing that everyone had nescos, i had to check what mine was because I was so sad that i was not a part of the gang but guess what! Mine is nesco too! its the American Harvest one :)
arthur, charlie, ralph, hunter and oliver
rip. benjamin

Topic author
DustAndEchoes

Post by DustAndEchoes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:31 pm

This is exactly the type of response I was looking for! Very helpful guys, thanks bunches! :D I'm finding all the dehydrators I'm looking at are about the same price ($40-$55), so this narrows it down a lot. Again, thanks!