Quickcrete play sand?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
DreaminginBlue

Quickcrete play sand?

Post by DreaminginBlue » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:03 pm

I think I saw this recommended somewhere and managed to get a 50 pound bag of it. Is it good to use and how does one prepare it.
I was planning on doing a small section of sand, like 1/4 of the crabitat, and the rest eco earth? Any experience with divided substrate...?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Quickcrete play sand?

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:38 pm

Yep..that is fine. It is not necessary to do anything with it, other than mix it with dechlorinated marine salt water to make it sand castle consistency. Some crabbers do rinse it, some bake it, but it is not necessary to do this. :)

Some people do the divided substrate. When I first started crabbing many years ago I had done that, but the crabs always mixed it. Some people do layers too...like tiramisu like layers. (Sand, ee, sand, ee...etc)

:)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:45 am

You don't have to wet it with as, many such as myself choose to just wet it with fw. Many people suggest sw as it's meant to inhibit mould.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:14 am

It is also my understanding that the marine saltwater helps retain moisture in the substrate. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:35 am

I don't think so... I think retention of water is the same for both sw and fw...

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:29 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:I don't think so... I think retention of water is the same for both sw and fw...

I thought I saw it somewhere...It's in our care sheet ;) :

For substrate that stays fresh for a long time and resists mold growth, you can use regular strength salt water when wetting it down the first time. The salt helps the humidity levels stay high, and it will also help to prevent mold from growing. Always use freshwater to rewet the sand, as the salt will stay in the substrate and adding in more can make it become too salty over time.

Edit: Here is the link in case you wanted to see it :) : http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 51&t=92457

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:12 pm

Not really what it meant. It talks about when moistening the substrate with sw when the water evaporates the slat crystals remain. When wetting the substrate, using fw ensures that more salt isn't added, making it more salty.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:23 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Not really what it meant. It talks about when moistening the substrate with sw when the water evaporates the slat crystals remain. When wetting the substrate, using fw ensures that more salt isn't added, making it more salty.

I guess I just don't understand the wording then. I get that the salt doesn't evaporate, but how would it help with humidity?

JennyM

Post by JennyM » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:57 pm

If you set out a bowl of fresh water and a bowl of salt water on the counter, the fresh water evaporates faster. So, SW in the substrate would make it keep wet longer. This won't help with air humidity, but will help keep the substrate wetter.

Yay science!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:03 pm

JennyM wrote:If you set out a bowl of fresh water and a bowl of salt water on the counter, the fresh water evaporates faster. So, SW in the substrate would make it keep wet longer. This won't help with air humidity, but will help keep the substrate wetter.

Yay science!
Great, thanks! :)

Edit: That reinforces what I originally stated, which is why I was confused - ;)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:40 am

In terms of a water dish yeah. But full of substrate and mostly minimal contact with the surface, the difference IMO is neligable. Sand will dry out in the first few inches given enough time, but underneath will retain most of the original moisture due to minimal contact with air.

KTM200xc

Post by KTM200xc » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:24 pm

I'm no expert on this but I use quickcrete sand with fw and mix in coconut soil with sw. So I get the benifits of the anti-mold from the salt. But I do believe that just salt is too much. I would think in the wild the dirt they dig in wouldn't have but so much salt in it. I'm sure being close to oceans the dirt is somewhat salty but rain is freshwater. Just my opinion, I think either way works.