Hamster Wheel

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
empress-trev

Hamster Wheel

Post by empress-trev » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Would someone please advise/is there a recommended size for the wheels, in relation to the crab size? I'm having trouble visualizing wheel to crab ratios. :wink:
3 Es - Bella, Blue, and Little Teddy, plus a 20 year old Bengal named Luther

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hamster Wheel

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:56 pm

I have the medium sized silent spinners. My crabs are large for the most part. I have a few mediums. The wheel is definitely the right size for mine. :) Hope that helps!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
empress-trev

Post by empress-trev » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:07 pm

Yes, that really helps. Thank you! I just couldn't wrap my head around it.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:19 pm

Yw! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:51 pm

I have two 6 inch silient spinners. Most of my crabs fit perfectly. My jumbos on the other hand take up most of the wheel... To the point where it doesn't spin like it would if one or two of the others are using it. I bought a 12 inch (online of course) and it's huge! Too big for my likings. I need to put one in my topper tank but the 12 is too big and the 6 is too small. Only other option is a 8 inch but I'm kinda of skeptical on ordering. I don't want to be stuck with another useless wheel.... Hope that made sense ;)

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

EPAS

Post by EPAS » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:26 am

daws 409,
What is the companies exchange/refund policy? You might call the company and explain that you need to exchange cause of the size. You also can explain that you wanted to use it for your crabs. The company might be kind enough to exchange the wheel for a smaller size cause you just gave them another use for their product.
Hope you can exchange the wheel and happy crabbing.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:11 am

I went and looked at what size I consider medium. It is their regular wheel. It is the 6 inch like daws has. I have 4 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
empress-trev

Post by empress-trev » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:06 pm

I'm so excited to get one into my new setup that I'll be doing this weekend. I KNOW Blue is going to go bonkers over it. Knowing him, I'll very likely need to get a second one. He doesn't like sharing.

robinwhiskers

Post by robinwhiskers » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:19 pm

I was going to get one while at Petsmart today, but the Kaytee silent spinner was a whopping 17 bucks there, and it was the smallest size possible! I remember seeing them for less than 10 bucks on Amazon so if I decide to get a hamster wheel for my crabs (there's only so much I can fit in a 10 gallon and water pools take up half that space) I'll go that route.
Rest in peace, Brigadier (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Lola (9/21/15) (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Harley (adopted on 4/29/16)
Rest in peace, Acuff (adopted in 5/20)

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:55 am

robinwhiskers wrote:I was going to get one while at Petsmart today, but the Kaytee silent spinner was a whopping 17 bucks there, and it was the smallest size possible! I remember seeing them for less than 10 bucks on Amazon so if I decide to get a hamster wheel for my crabs (there's only so much I can fit in a 10 gallon and water pools take up half that space) I'll go that route.
I had a 10 gallon until just recently. No way could I fit a hamster wheel in there, what with the water pools, shell shop, moss pit, hides, etc. I'm excited to get a hamster wheel into my 29 gallon tat - finally there's room!
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:45 am

They are definitely cheaper on Amazon. Sometimes you can even request the color. I use coupons for local pet stores. All of our pet stores accept each other's coupons. I've bought mine that way. I've also found that Pet Supermarket sells them the cheapest in my area. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk