How long do you leave your pad heater on or when?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
3isha

How long do you leave your pad heater on or when?

Post by 3isha » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:50 am

I recently just got a heater pad for the side of my tank. My house is usually around 70-80F. How long should I leave the pad on per day? Or should I only have on at night since it’s cold or during the day? They’re more active at night while only one is always active in the day time.

sarcasticLynx

Re: How long do you leave your pad heater on or when?

Post by sarcasticLynx » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:11 pm

Mine is always on. Do you have a thermometer to check the temp inside the 'tat?

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:18 pm

I'd tend to say leave it on. Monitor the temp as closely as is practical for a few days to see where the pad brings it up to & then maybe consider getting a thermostat to shut it off if it gets too high (most likely not an issue unless your house is regularly in the 80's though, tbh... I only need a thermostat in the summer because I've no air conditioning.)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:44 pm

I live in an older house, no air conditioning. Southwestern Manitoba, where temps range from -40C in winter to +40C in summer. Crabs are in a tank upstairs, in a room with a baseboard heater. Needless to say, I check my temps frequently and plug/ unplug heaters very frequently! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:23 pm

I get very hot summers, up to 110F depending on the year.
When that season approaches, I will definitely watch temperatures, and turn off my Ultratherm if need be.

I always leave mine on.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:20 pm

3isha wrote:I recently just got a heater pad for the side of my tank. My house is usually around 70-80F. How long should I leave the pad on per day? Or should I only have on at night since it’s cold or during the day? They’re more active at night while only one is always active in the day time.
I use a thermostat. That way, if the UTH is large enough (and the right brand), once you get it set properly the thermostat can keep the tank at the same temperature year-round. Assuming your house is usually colder than you want to keep your crabitat.
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena