Question regarding tank upgrade

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
fandt94

Question regarding tank upgrade

Post by fandt94 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:01 pm

Hello! I am planning on purchasing a larger tank this weekend and had a question....should I set it up with brand new substrate and have it sit for a while before moving the crabs to it or can I use my existing substrate and add more to accommodate the larger tank? Another question I just thought of also, for a 29 gallon tank, what size UTH would I need? Right now I have a ZooMed mini which is “ok” as far as keeping the temperature decent but I know I will need something better and bigger for when the weather cools off here. TIA!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question regarding tank upgrade

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:47 pm

I have upgraded tanks twice, and have just added more substrate and mixed it in with the old stuff. I warmed up the water just a bit (ie- luke warm) before mixing it with the new EE and sand, so that it wasn't cold for them.

I will let someone else answer the UTH question, because everyone would laugh at my set up of heaters!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:57 pm

curlysister wrote:I have upgraded tanks twice, and have just added more substrate and mixed it in with the old stuff. I warmed up the water just a bit (ie- luke warm) before mixing it with the new EE and sand, so that it wasn't cold for them.

I will let someone else answer the UTH question, because everyone would laugh at my set up of heaters!

Thank you! However, I am now curious as to your set up of heaters lol!! :lol:
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:01 am

Ultratherm heaters are the best. You can purchase one at reptilebasics.com. or another place, I forget the name. You get the size that fits the back of your tank. Above the substrate. It can overlap an inch. Although some people cover the entire back.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:06 am

Well, I have three heaters. One on back, and one on each side. I live in Manitoba Canada where the Temps can be -40C in winter and +40C in summer. Of course we have heat but we don't have air conditioning. We live in an old farm house. My crabitat is on the upper floor in my sewing room. So the room temp varies a lot, depending on the season and the indoor temp (open windows at night to cool off, then close them and pull the blinds during the day). I will have 1, 2, all 3, or no heaters plugged in, I might have a couple of blankets on top of the tank, I might have the room door shut with the baseboard heater cranked up, or any combination of these. Because my room conditions are so variable, I really have no idea what to recommend for heater size for normal houses! Lol!

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:31 am

I usually mixed my new substrate with my old, that way their familiar scents are still there and the "new" of the tank isn't stressing them out.

With heaters, i currently have heat tape AND UTHs. So, i bought 6 inch heat tape and ran it across the back of my tank. The top of the heat tape is level with the top of the substrate. Then i added their medium UTH to the left side of the tank, and the mini UTH right above the heat tape in the back where their hide is. They really love sitting in front of the heater under the oak bark. I just ordered another batch of 6 inch heat tape and another thermometer to run across the back above the heat tape i currently have because it gets cold in the winter and what i currently have won't hold the temp.
It seems like a lot, but my house stays really cold so i had to go extra on the heaters for the tank to hold the temp. haha
Hope that helps!
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:55 am

curlysister wrote:Well, I have three heaters. One on back, and one on each side. I live in Manitoba Canada where the Temps can be -40C in winter and +40C in summer. Of course we have heat but we don't have air conditioning. We live in an old farm house. My crabitat is on the upper floor in my sewing room. So the room temp varies a lot, depending on the season and the indoor temp (open windows at night to cool off, then close them and pull the blinds during the day). I will have 1, 2, all 3, or no heaters plugged in, I might have a couple of blankets on top of the tank, I might have the room door shut with the baseboard heater cranked up, or any combination of these. Because my room conditions are so variable, I really have no idea what to recommend for heater size for normal houses! Lol!

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
I can totally see myself doing this even though I don’t live in the same conditions ....I am in NW Indiana so our winters can get pretty cold and we like to keep the house at about 68 F....with my current 10 gallon tank I was already considering another heater because of the AC....and then when that goes off...cool evenings....I tend to overthink things haha.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 pm

LOL, well I am glad you don't think I am crazy! It isn't the 'usual' set up, but it works for us!

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:21 pm

ciaraalston wrote:I just ordered another batch of 6 inch heat tape and another thermometer to run across the back above the heat tape i currently have because it gets cold in the winter and what i currently have won't hold the temp.
Hope that helps!

Where did you order the heat tape and what brand? Thanks!

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:29 pm

fandt94 wrote:

Where did you order the heat tape and what brand? Thanks!

Reptile basics. Love that place!
I don't get the ultratherm, just go to heating section, click heat tape, and the sizes are there. There's like 6 inch, 11 inch, etc. Then you order by feet. (So I'd put quantity 4 since i need 4 feet worth. That cost me about $9)

You'll also need the connector wires which is only about $4. Includes the connect for me option. That way when you get it, it's ready to plug into a thermostat and go! Image

All together with shipping it cost me $22. That's 6 inch wide heat tape that runs across the entire back of my tank left to right. The thermostat I have is from Amazon and it's only $19. Works great together for me!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot