Is all playsand safe

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
jaclyn.stetzer

Is all playsand safe

Post by jaclyn.stetzer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:20 pm

I am planning on doing a mixture of playsand and eco earth in my crabitat. I picked up two 50 pound bags from Ace. I'm just wondering if there is anything I need to be cautious of when using playsand such as chemicals?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is all playsand safe

Post by curlysister » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:09 pm

Playsand is good, no chemicals. As long as it's dry, no problem.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:44 pm

Is there a better substrate, such as all eco earth vs. mix of eco earth and play sand mix? I mistakenly made my first tat with calci sand and will be redoing it in the next month or so.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:12 pm

ApePlanet wrote:Is there a better substrate, such as all eco earth vs. mix of eco earth and play sand mix? I mistakenly made my first tat with calci sand and will be redoing it in the next month or so.
Using a mix of ee and playsand helps maintain the correct consistency.

You'll want to remove the calcium sand asap. When it gets wet it hardens and sticks to the crabs like cement.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:21 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:Is there a better substrate, such as all eco earth vs. mix of eco earth and play sand mix? I mistakenly made my first tat with calci sand and will be redoing it in the next month or so.

You'll want to remove the calcium sand asap. When it gets wet it hardens and sticks to the crabs like cement.

Thank you! I’ll check out some of the threads on substrate for some more details. It’s very frustrating that the calci sand promotes that it’s good for hermit crabs Image.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:35 pm

ApePlanet wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:

Thank you! I’ll check out some of the threads on substrate for some more details. It’s very frustrating that the calci sand promotes that it’s good for hermit crabs Image.
I made the same mistake with the calci sand also. When I redid my substrate in the new tank I did the 5:1 ratio recommended on here. Meaning for every 5 cups of sand, 1 cup of EE mixed in. I also had ordered 2 bags of the pre-mixed substrate from The Hermit Crab Patch.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:45 pm

All EE and all playsand can work (I've done both and every in between) but a mix of more sand than cocofiber tends to be the easiest to maintain over time. I personally like all sand, but cocofiber makes me sneeze!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:31 am

I have always used the 5:1 ratio of playsand to EE. When I first got my crabs and came across this site, that seemed to be what most crabbers were using, so that's what I went with. Has worked well for me, have just added more as I upgraded tanks!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Polling your best experiences, how much water do you add to the 5:1 play sand/EE mix? I heard over-saturation can have negative side effects. Thanks!

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:35 pm

ApePlanet wrote:Polling your best experiences, how much water do you add to the 5:1 play sand/EE mix? I heard over-saturation can have negative side effects. Thanks!
I only poured a little at a time...mixing until it was sandcastle like...I then stuck a pencil in the see if it held the hole nicely.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:55 pm

Thanks!

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:56 pm

Did I also read somewhere that you should/can mix Instant Ocean in with the water that you saturate the substrate mixture with?

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:43 pm

ApePlanet wrote:Did I also read somewhere that you should/can mix Instant Ocean in with the water that you saturate the substrate mixture with?
I like to, as it helps prevent mold. Just don't add more salt water after the initial setup, because the water can evaporate but the salt will stay in the sub. Too much salt can cause burns to molters.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:04 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:Did I also read somewhere that you should/can mix Instant Ocean in with the water that you saturate the substrate mixture with?
I like to, as it helps prevent mold. Just don't add more salt water after the initial setup, because the water can evaporate but the salt will stay in the sub. Too much salt can cause burns to molters.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip! I purchased some play sand, EE bricks, and some Instant Ocean today. Gonna try to redo the substrate tomorrow if I can.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:33 pm

soilentgringa wrote:

Well, I was pre-prepping my tank for a substrate switch later this week and one of my PPs are missing, which tells me he/she probably is molting.