Tank to Crab Ratio

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
IcedPineapple

Tank to Crab Ratio

Post by IcedPineapple » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:22 pm

I got confused looking at the topic of tank size to hermit crab size. In the chart it says "extra large [crab]: minimum gallons required" but what are the measurements for an extra large crab? It doesn't give a measurement, it just skips from large to jumbo. Right now 3 of my pp are just a smidge beyond 3 inches across, does that make them "extra large" or "jumbo"?

Have been wanting to upgrade them for awhile, and I want to make sure I get the proper tank size....

Overmountain1

Re: Tank to Crab Ratio

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:44 am

Personally I would go with as many gallons as you can afford for them at that size. Many say that a 55 is the minimum size for them just to have space to move freely! However, it’s safe to bet your crabs are a large to extra large size. My jumbo has at least a 6” span, prob a little more!
In summary, the minimum is 15 gallons each for that size but also plenty of room to move and to dig. Something else to consider is adding some more sub depth as they grow, but regardless. As large as possible is how large!

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~Gene My PP clan