38 crabs. What size tank?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Babybytc88

38 crabs. What size tank?

Post by Babybytc88 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:55 am

For those that do not know I recently rescued 38 crabs. At this time they are split between 3 tanks but are still overcrowded. So I have 4 crab Tanks in my house now. At some point I would like to move all of these 38 crabs into one tank. My question is what size tank could I make work. I’m always willing to upgrade more in the future as they grow and these guys are mainly small crabs biggest opening size is not larger than an inch and smallest is 1cm. It would make my life much much easier if I had just one large tank. I have an option to pick up a 55g tank for free but I’m unsure if it’s big enough even though they are small. I have my original 4 crabs in a 75 gallon and as much as they do it doesn’t seem big enough .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 38 crabs. What size tank?

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:11 am

That... is a lot of crabs. Even if we go with an estimate of five gallons per crab you're looking at a 200 gal tank, and that doesn't even include growing room (larger crabs may need more space). Not to mention that living space is determined by diggable surface area for molting, so 200 gal (about ten square feet) may still be small.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=92541

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:36 am

Thank you. I figured as they grow I would need another large tank as well with toppers. For now I’m trying to figure out the best option space wise and for supplies etc. it’s much harder to get all these small tanks up to par perfectly as they are still overcrowded. I’m thinking of taking the 55g putting my 4 crabs I have in it. Then taking the 20g terrarium and using as a topper on my 75g to allow for deeper sub in more of the tank for all these little ones for now. Which should buy me time to get another much larger tank. I’m not sure how fast they grow though so not sure how much time it would buy me. It would be the cheapest option for me at this point at least.

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:37 am

If I could buy myself a few months even would be helpful

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:41 am

That sounds like a good plan, adding them together. Saves space; wish I knew how to do that!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:02 am

Crabby7Crabber wrote:That sounds like a good plan, adding them together. Saves space; wish I knew how to do that!
Maybe I’m still worried about them being way too crowded though. It’s a lot of crabs

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:04 am

Supplies I have access to:

75g current home to 3pps and 1 e
5.5 g inside 75g split in 2 for pools

55g Empty

20g terrarium with 18 crabs mostly little crabs a couple that have 1in opening or just below

2 10g tanks with 10 small crabs each tank.

I don’t want any one tank to be over crowded for long. Obviously 3 of these tanks are. Right now working through a mite issue so can’t add any with the 4 crabs I current have in 75 g.

I’m trying to figure the best complete setup cheapest for now. I plan on investing in much larger tanks maybe even eventually weaning out the 55g and 75g for much larger tank to house all these crabs safely with enough space. I’m not above having a tank in every room of the house .

If anyone has any advice for a better way to set it up with what I have access too would be great.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:43 am

I had 60 some very large crabs in a 135 gallon without issues, until the ants found the tank. I notice everyone tends to be super conservative these days about not overcrowding, but once they get past that first mass moult, they'll start to spread out and you'll maybe have a third to half down at any given time. Moulting space is the most important aspect, so as long as that is covered they should be fine. If they're as small as you're saying, a 55 should be okay for the time being. I might even go a step further and put all the micros and teenies in a tank based on how many there are (a 10 or 20 gallon) and then leave the 55 for the bigger ones.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:55 am

wodesorel wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:43 am
I had 60 some very large crabs in a 135 gallon without issues, until the ants found the tank. I notice everyone tends to be super conservative these days about not overcrowding, but once they get past that first mass moult, they'll start to spread out and you'll maybe have a third to half down at any given time. Moulting space is the most important aspect, so as long as that is covered they should be fine. If they're as small as you're saying, a 55 should be okay for the time being. I might even go a step further and put all the micros and teenies in a tank based on how many there are (a 10 or 20 gallon) and then leave the 55 for the bigger ones.
wodesroel's here to save you! :lol:
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:10 pm

Once you have the mite issue under control, maybe you could think about adopting some out. I hope with all the tanks you have you can make it work. I have faith in you!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:18 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:Once you have the mite issue under control, maybe you could think about adopting some out. I hope with all the tanks you have you can make it work. I have faith in you!!! Image

I wish I was as enthusiastic as you are Image. I know I got this just going to be a long process.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:42 pm

Babybytc88 wrote: I wish I was as enthusiastic as you are Image. I know I got this just going to be a long process.

I get to be optimistic because I'm not the one doing all the work lol! Image

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

angelbear

Post by angelbear » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:45 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:42 pm
I get to be optimistic because I'm not the one doing all the work lol! Image

Same
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:46 pm

JMT's guide helps explain a lot with figuring crabs per gallon. Read this slow because it's very detailed and may make your brain melt if you try to skim through it too quickly! This should help you get a better grasp on what you are dealing with. http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 51#p836451
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:28 pm

Motörcrab wrote:JMT's guide helps explain a lot with figuring crabs per gallon. Read this slow because it's very detailed and may make your brain melt if you try to skim through it too quickly! This should help you get a better grasp on what you are dealing with. http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 51#p836451
Thank you. That was a fantastic read and really did break it down perfectly.