UTH Touching Substrate?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Jennifer_lynn89

UTH Touching Substrate?

Post by Jennifer_lynn89 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:59 pm

How bad is it for a UTH to touch the substrate? I ordered one off of reptile basics but got 11x23. After I ordered it I read how the heater should not touch the substrate. Well my tank is 12x30, so it will absolutely touch the substrate. How bad is this? Should I keep this heater or try and return it for the 6x23 size?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: UTH Touching Substrate?

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:59 pm

Not bad at all! You want to heat the air, so most of the 'air' space should be covered by the UTH (ie - if it doesn't cover the entire top to bottom, don't put it closer to the bottom). But nothing bad will happen if it goes below the level - there will not be hot 'pockets' and your crabs will not 'cook' to death like some might have you believe. The worst case is that the sand in that area will tend to dry out a bit faster. Just keep an eye on it and add more water to the sub as needed.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Jennifer_lynn89

Post by Jennifer_lynn89 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:48 pm

I was afraid it would dry their sub out. I have a 13in high tank and the heater will cover 11 of that. So I wasn't sure of that was too much

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:01 pm

Some crabbers have the UTH go right from top to bottom. Just keep an eye on the sub in that area so you can add more water to it as needed.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers