Why are metals bad for crabs?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Why are metals bad for crabs?

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:47 pm

Why is this? How does metal harm crabs? Is it solely due to rust? Thanks.

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:53 pm

yes rust is bad for them, they may ingest it :( and metal if in the tat should be watched carefully with all the moisture its bound to get that way
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
2 PP's~2 Violas~1 Blueberry~2 Indos~1 Ruggie
crabbin since 2005.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:00 pm

The reason I was wondering was because my crabs love to climb up the climbing background and plants to the mesh ceiling of their terrarium and climb around upside-down on the mesh. I think the mesh is stainless steel so it won't rust, but I was wondering if it was still bad for them.

It's just so great for them - like having a whole other area to walk around.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:20 am

Something in the metal aggitates crabs' bodies. If a crab is in contact with too much metal, the metal can actually cause sores on the crab's body.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:22 am

I know that lots of members here have the mesh lids with sarah wrap over them or something.... If sores start to appear you could always find another lid. if you arne't having problems or rust now, just wait and see :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:33 pm

Hmmm, maybe I'll see if I can get a lid with nylon mesh instead. Thanks everyone :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:43 pm

I saw a metal pooper scooper made for crabs and wondered about that. Not that I want a pooper scooper. I do use a metal spoon.

(interesting note. I spelled 'saw' backwards when I first wrote this)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:45 pm

i found a glass flip top lid at PetsMart for $10 (for a 10 gallon). It works nicely!!