relationship between lighting and calcium??

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:51 pm

I dunno anymore about all that stuff about hermit crabs being nocturnal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKdiwuCPTg

Nor the stuff about them disliking light. Yeah, maybe when they're stressed or needing to molt, but the rest of the time, my crabs are crazy about it.

iPinch taking a nap out in the open, directly under the light.

Here's my ruggie when I first got him. He was pale blue in color.

I don't know if it's better nutrition (all fresh food, no pellets) or because my tank has fluorescent lighting, but he's turning a shade of brown and the paleness is gone. (After five weeks)

I researched the stuff about UVB lighting and learned that regular glass is pretty opaque to short wavelengths (like UVB). I have an All-Glass lid and I emailed the company to ask if they use regular glass or if they use any special glass to allow UVB rays through. They emailed me back saying that they use regular plate glass, but that I was correct in assuming that I can go to Home Depot or Lowe's to get a different kind of glass cut, because the All-Glass lids have interchangeable parts, and change out the glass for my lid. High-quality silica or quartz glass should let more of those rays through.

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:24 pm

just to throw another fun fact out there, all parrots need exposure to UVB to create D3 as well :) i'd like to get some nice full spectrum lighting with UVB for my budgies sometime. until then, i'm going to work on moving their cage out in the sun for 10 minutes a day to keep their feathers nice and bright :)