Factors of Breeding in Captivity

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Factors of Breeding in Captivity

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:34 pm

I know there have been other discussions on this topic, and I don't want to be redundant, but I have been doing some research and thinking about breeding crabs in a mega-tank (300 gallons is my dream...) as a "summer project" (I know it would be more than that....but I have to think of something to tell my mom...) I also think it would be an interesting project for a science class or something, since I'm taking biology class in a couple years. (I wish I could take it next year but I have to do chemistry first...) The hermit crabs would definitely require a delicately balanced and complex mini-ecosystem in a tank to breed successfully. So here's my question: What do you think are important factors that would have to be taken into consideration when breeding hermit crabs? Some sort of lunar cycle with tides in the waves? A HUGE ocean pool? Day/night light cycle using a rheostat set on a timer that would be adjusted every day or two to accurately simulate the changing times of the rising and setting sun? A temperature that changes slightly with the seasons? A wave simulator? Certain types of REAL plants? What depth of substrate and what kind or kinds of substrate? I want to know what everybody thinks!! What is your dream breeding tank? (but be realistic!)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:44 pm

Breeding in captivity, to my knowledge, has never been done succesfully. Check out the following link for info from TCP
http://www.thecrabbagepatch.com/lifecycle.html

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:59 pm

I think you're right, but I've heard rumors that a few people have done it. I've heard of somebody on the Crab Street Journal who's been working on it. I know it's not likely, but it would be amazing to be the first person to do it.....although this lady at the Crabbage Patch looks like she's very close.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:34 pm

The lady from the crabbage patch apparently has thew perfect set-up. Only thing she got wrong was that the salt water tank wasn't set-up in time. So I would contact her and try to mimic her set-up, then have a salt water tank thats always up and running on hand.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:17 pm

Actually there was a similar thread on this and someone posted a link to a paper written by somone saying that they got the crabs to be juvinile air breathing crabs however I was somewhat disappointed that they did not describe what happened after that beacause it did not say weather the crabs had survived any other molts on land. They described how they set up there system and it was not as complicated as we have been led to believe. Unfortunately I did not save the page it was on I think it would require some know how on how to raise shrimp and brine shrimp larvae.

I will go try to find it however, I don't think I will have very much luck, sorry.

If you do decide to try it. Good Luck :) It would be great if captive hermits become available

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:49 am

Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:25 am

Hmmm the link didn't work for me.....if only I had a job I could make some money to do this...I'm totally broke right now. I'll have to start checking garage sales for cheap tanks I guess!!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:45 am

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:09 pm

Hm, I tried it and it works for me. It's a bit complicated though. The link nippyandtuck gave is for the same paper, though.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002