HELP! Hermit is not moving

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Gresyon

HELP! Hermit is not moving

Post by Gresyon » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:11 am

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Coconut substrate, about 6 inches, but was recently changed due to mites

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Yes, at the back of tank, 90% humidity, 75 degrees temp

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? Yes, a heating pad/panel

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Fresh and salt. Use bottled water (hermit crab water for salt and spring water for fresh)

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? Use hermit crab food, replace every 2 days and occasional treats

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? about 6 months, species ???

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? Hermit molted recently

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 10 gallon tank with screen lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? just 1 medium

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 4- 5

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? none

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Occasional wipe down, but a very thorough cleaning recently due to suspected mites

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? no

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? Recently cleaned, added a new climbing branch. Everything boiled ahead of thime

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? There appeared to be mites. I bather the hermit crab and completely cleaned his cage a week ago. I gave him a few days as I thought he might be stressed. He appeared ok at first but stopped moving 2 days ago.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. Hermit has stopped moving, hasn't eaten or bathed.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: HELP! Hermit is not moving

Post by curlysister » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:12 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Coconut substrate, about 6 inches, but was recently changed due to mites

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Yes, at the back of tank, 90% humidity, 75 degrees temp
Curly - Have you calibrated your hygrometer? I'm not sure where you live, but my tank wouldn't be that humid with a screen lid.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? Yes, a heating pad/panel

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Fresh and salt. Use bottled water (hermit crab water for salt and spring water for fresh)
Curly - Bottled hermit crab water does not contain all the minerals that crabs need. You need a marine salt like Instant Ocean. And bottled spring water is an unknown, so should be dechlorinated before using. Check the 'water' care sheet for full explanation.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? Use hermit crab food, replace every 2 days and occasional treats
Curly - What do you mean by 'hermit crab food'? If if is commercial food (like pellets) it often has harmful additives. Crabs need a varied diet, including calcium and protein daily. See the 'food' care sheets for info about commercial foods, nutrition, and safe foods.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? about 6 months, species ???

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? Hermit molted recently
Curly - Did it dig under the sub and stay down for a number of weeks or months? Did it come up on it's own, or did you dig it up when you changed the substrate?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 10 gallon tank with screen lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? just 1 medium

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 4- 5

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? none

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Occasional wipe down, but a very thorough cleaning recently due to suspected mites
Curly - Were you able to identify the type of mites? Did you check the care sheet about mites?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? no

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? Recently cleaned, added a new climbing branch. Everything boiled ahead of thime

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? There appeared to be mites. I bather the hermit crab and completely cleaned his cage a week ago. I gave him a few days as I thought he might be stressed. He appeared ok at first but stopped moving 2 days ago.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. Hermit has stopped moving, hasn't eaten or bathed.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers