Surface Molt Or Dying?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Surface Molt Or Dying?

Post by AwesomeHermit » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:44 am

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!
Ive had crabs for 5 years so I know my conditions are right but Ill do this part anyway.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Eco earth x playsand, 9 inches
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, they are located near the ground and range from 80-85 for both

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

Heat pad
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and marine salt water, instantocean

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
All kinds, and replaced every 2-3 days

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
only a month or so

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Nope, but he has very ashy exoskeleton and has molting symptoms.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
29G, gass lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3, all medium

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
Not that I am aware of

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I deepclean once a year or so.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
Nope

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

So I adopted a PP about a month ago in bad conditions. They were in a natural tulip shell. They also did not have PPS because they were not lethargic (I have had a crab with PPS in the past so I have experience with it) but they are rarely active. Things took a turn today when I saw them sleeping with their body out as if they weren't sleeping. I found this weird because she sleeps in her shell. I noticed she was partially limp. After I decided to put her in the Coco hut and turned off the lights so she can surface molt better if that is what is happening. She is not in danger from other crabs because the other two are molting, one in the substrate and one in the mosspit.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

jonathon1989

Re: Surface Molt Or Dying?

Post by jonathon1989 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:51 am

A hermit crab about to molt can be lethargic however, I'm not sure about her being limp, the ashy exoskeleton is a sign of molting though. It is possible she is slowing down to prepare for her molt. My recommendation is to leave her in the hut and make sure she has complete darkness.

Did you try putting her into the saltwater dish to see if that would revive her?

Jonathon

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:18 pm

She isn-t completely limp. Her legs just looked wobbly and limp compared to an active crab
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:17 pm

Agree with Jonathon, to keep her in a dark iso.
Unfortunately, PPS can occur until the first molt or even longer. So don't rule out PPS based on how she was when you got her - the prior poor conditions could still take a toll on her.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:18 pm

Crabs can succumb to PPS up until their first successful molt with you. Your tank conditions sound good. Do you have any foods available that could give her a boost? Peanut butter (no hydrogenated oils/sugars/salt), honey, or bee pollen? What are you using for calcium? If it's something tougher to eat, like cuttlebone, eggshells, or crab/lobster exoskeleton, I'd suggested grinding it up a bit to make it easier to eat.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:31 pm

I have cuttlebone, eggshells, and lobster exo for calcium. I don’t think food would help her atm tho, because she’s still hiding in the hut, seeming very lethargic. Who knows if she is actually surface molting or just very lethargic. It’s weird because my first crab who had PPS was relatively active, but very slow moving (including its antennae) until their first milt with me. While this crab is reactive just almost never out of hiding.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:49 pm

Rip :( Only knew her for a month but it was still disheartening.
Crabbing for 4 years!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:52 pm

Aw I'm sorry.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav