Taking the plunge!??

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
C_fiesta

Taking the plunge!??

Post by C_fiesta » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Hello!
I have been a member for awhile. I became obsessed with Hermit Crabbies about 3 years ago. I think I read every post on the forum and then some. I didn't get any at the time because it was a time of transition for me (college, moving, wedding, etc). Life got crazy and I fell off the map until last week.

Why am I back? Well..

My beloved goldfish of 9 years died last month and I've been contemplating what to do with the tank. I've considered getting more fish *yawn*. But then I remembered about Crabbies! I instantly became obsessed again. My husband is on board and interested in them. We just paid off all our debt, so we can spend some money on a hobby.

I kind of want a thread just to pull some thoughts on different issues. Like I said, I've read and reread almost everything there is on Crabbies, so some of this is just for sake of dialogue and comfort.

My plan is to get the tank set up and have it established before I adopt any Crabbies. Here is my first question: what size tank should I start with? I have a 20 gal tall (which I thought it was a 30). But, it seems like I might outgrow that quickly? It almost feels like I need to go big or go home. They're several decent priced 55 gals on CL that I could get, but those almost seem HUGE! What would you recommend? I want to get two or three crabbies, but from what I've read I think they are like potato chips-you can't just have one!

Second bonus question: is hot glue OK to use to make things for them?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

emberfusion

Re: Taking the plunge!??

Post by emberfusion » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:48 pm

C_fiesta wrote:Hello!
I have been a member for awhile. I became obsessed with Hermit Crabbies about 3 years ago. I think I read every post on the forum and then some. I didn't get any at the time because it was a time of transition for me (college, moving, wedding, etc). Life got crazy and I fell off the map until last week.

Why am I back? Well..

My beloved goldfish of 9 years died last month and I've been contemplating what to do with the tank. I've considered getting more fish *yawn*. But then I remembered about Crabbies! I instantly became obsessed again. My husband is on board and interested in them. We just paid off all our debt, so we can spend some money on a hobby.

I kind of want a thread just to pull some thoughts on different issues. Like I said, I've read and reread almost everything there is on Crabbies, so some of this is just for sake of dialogue and comfort.

My plan is to get the tank set up and have it established before I adopt any Crabbies. Here is my first question: what size tank should I start with? I have a 20 gal tall (which I thought it was a 30). But, it seems like I might outgrow that quickly? It almost feels like I need to go big or go home. They're several decent priced 55 gals on CL that I could get, but those almost seem HUGE! What would you recommend? I want to get two or three crabbies, but from what I've read I think they are like potato chips-you can't just have one!

Hot glue tends to fall apart after a while in the humidity.

As for a tank, the bigger the better! If you have the money and are willing to invest, go as big as you want/can commit to!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Topic author
C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:20 pm

emberfusion wrote:
C_fiesta wrote:Hello!

Why am I back? Well..

Hot glue tends to fall apart after a while in the humidity.

As for a tank, the bigger the better! If you have the money and are willing to invest, go as big as you want/can commit to!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
So aquarium silicone would probably be my best bet?

I am a little worried about getting a tank off of CL that has bad sealant and needs to be replaced. I have heard that that's a major headache and not worth the time and money. I'm sort of eyeing up the Petco Sale next month, even though it would be a bit more money than buying off of CL. Do you (or anyone) know if they sell out of the 55s fast?

Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:45 pm

Aquarium silicone would be best. With no additives or anti-mold stuff. There's also the stuff the reefing (saltwater aquarium) community uses for coral frag attachment if you're looking for something rock-like. It's like a 2 part epoxy cement or something, I don't recall what it's called, but looking up coral frag attachment should pull that up.

Crab tanks don't need to hold water. There's a large variety of tanks on Craigslist. Also check consignment sales or thrift stores.

Sometimes the 55 gallon tanks aren't part of the 1$/gallon sale. Also, usually stores restrict the sale to inventory on hand. So they may only have a couple 55 gallon tanks, I'm thinking, depending on the store.
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

Raidz97

Post by Raidz97 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Hey, I also started with a 10 gallon and Quickly realized it was too small. I ended up with a 55 gallon, and yet again its too small. Honestly I would recommend a 75 gallon. It has the same length of a 55 gallon but the width is 4 or 5 inches more and the same for height. It might seem huge but when its all furnished and "pimped" it will look amazing and small lol. It also leaves you with enough space for 10-15 max crabs,from what I've seen on some build. But don't let me make your choice. Go with what your living situation allows you. If a 75 is too much a 40 gallon breeder is also a good choice anything lower and it honestly feels small. Also what crab species are you planning on. PP's and Ecuadorians are most common, but beware E's have somewhat of a cannibalistic reputation amongst many on this forum.

Edit: Your best bet for a cheap tank is Craigslist or Facebook advertisers/sellers. Often than not big chain stores charge huge prices.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:55 pm

First off, welcome back! I remember you floating around here or there. :lol:
What aquarist use from fragging can be ultra thrifty, superglue to aquarium putty to 'endorsed' fragging glue..... which most of the time is overprice superglue IMO.
Even those you can start up big, most people seem to get a good couple months/years before needing to upgrade. Not to mention, cost involved in setting a a larger tank. 20g offers you space but also allows you to dip your feet and see how you enjoy crabbing. Either way, its up to you.

(Set up another tank, particularly tropicals; in the last few years there has been a greater amount of species available, and since the boom of nano aqua, has seen a transition to the amount of smaller livestock available...)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:23 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:First off, welcome back! I remember you floating around here or there. Image
What aquarist use from fragging can be ultra thrifty, superglue to aquarium putty to 'endorsed' fragging glue..... which most of the time is overprice superglue IMO.
Even those you can start up big, most people seem to get a good couple months/years before needing to upgrade. Not to mention, cost involved in setting a a larger tank. 20g offers you space but also allows you to dip your feet and see how you enjoy crabbing. Either way, its up to you.

(Set up another tank, particularly tropicals; in the last few years there has been a greater amount of species available, and since the boom of nano aqua, has seen a transition to the amount of smaller livestock available...)
Hi!
A part of me is more comfortable with the 20 gal. But logically I think if I go through all the work for the 20, I might as well do the 55 right away. It's not that much more footage, right?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:33 pm

When you come and think about it, the stuff you use for the 20g get included for the 55g... Minus the tank, maybe another or a new UTH and more sand.... But other than that, your ready to upgrade at any time... 20g are usually 2 foot, and a 55g is 4ft; so its more of adding to 20's together to make a 55g...
If your comfortable with a 20, id follow the gut. But if your looking at the 55 to 'reduce' potential upgrades or long term tank, then that works as well.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:15 pm

I just arranged a pick up for a 55 gal. The silicone looks a little worn, but since I'm not filling it to the top with water, I think it will be OK. He says it doesn't leak.
ITS HAPPENING

Raidz97

Post by Raidz97 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:17 pm

Nice, its always good to buy your tank and fix it up for your crabbiest. Best Of Wishes!!!!

Topic author
C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:57 pm

Thanks! I want to update you guys as I go along, WITH PICTURES! *ohhh ahhhh*

Topic author
C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:36 pm

I just made my first Hermit Crab purchase! I scooped up this incredible huge piece of Cholla Wood on eBay for a steal :) Image

Raidz97

Post by Raidz97 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:24 pm

Nice, seems like a good piece. There is a website that sells really big thick pieces. But I am blanking on the name. Maybe someone can chime in with name.

Topic author
C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:46 pm

I just picked up the 55 gal tank! I'll take a picture and add when I get it set up (It's still in the car )

Topic author
C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:43 pm

We have a tank!!!! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]Image