What are some recommendations?

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Hi, I’m going to be a hermit crab owner soon, but I don’t have all the supplies. I have a twenty gallon tank high, a screen lid (and putting plastic wrap or the special plexiglass thing on top to keep in humidity), eco earth substrate (I’m going to get playsand soon), instant ocean salt, a coco hut, a half log thingy for a hide, a lizard ladder, a mister, a sifter, and I’m planning on hot gluing coconut pieces to a piece of twine that will be attached to suction cups. I have a few questions as what I will need. I’m thinking about making a pit to attach to the top of the tank, due to allergies I can’t use real moss so I might use eco earth and chia seeds. I’m thinking about getting an ipower UTH that is 8”by18” and 24 watts for the back of the tank. I was also thinking about getting a thermometer specially to alter the mat’s temperature (I only need it up about ten degrees). I am thinking about getting 2 acurite weather stations from Lowe’s (basically a digital gauge)I also got thin plastic containers for my bowls of water and I’m thinking about zip tying craft mesh to them. I’m thinking about getting aqueon tap water conditioner. It covers chlorine/Chloramine, ammonia, slime coat, and heavy metals. Does anyone recommend a specific craft mesh for hermit crabs (like maybe around 6” wide)? Does anyone also recommend a specific aquarium glue I can use? If there is anything else I’m missing or need to alter for my supplies please let me know and I will try decide what is probably best! Thanks!
Last edited by Oliviet#1 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What are some recommendations?

Post by curlysister » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:19 pm

Great idea to be prepared before getting your crabs!
Hot glue will fall apart with the heat and humidity. Aquarium safe glue is what you need. After you glue things, they need to air out for a number of days to get rid of fumes.
The recommended water conditioner is Prime. Use it with tap water, not spring water. You will then need a marine salt like Instant Ocean to make salt water.
Digital hygrometer/ thermometers are more accurate than analog. I'm not familiar with the brand you mentioned, but many of us use Acurite.
Any craft mesh will do, the plastic type (in my area, it's known as 'plastic canvas'), and it can be cut to size. The zip tie idea is great!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:14 am

As for moss. Most fake moss is treated with stuff that is not safe for Crabs. Its meant to be decorative and not meant to be wet. If You cannot due real moss consider something else.

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

mortemarts

Post by mortemarts » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:47 am

You can substitute moss for a hermit crab safe plant, just purchase some worm droppings and plant. I know for sure The Hermit Crab Patch sells the droppings. There are other sources but I for sure know THCP and trust them a lot.

You could plant chia seeds. Just know that plants don’t last long due to hermit crabs eating and destroying them. Chia seeds of course won’t last long but hermit crabs love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:53 pm

Thanks for the info. If you have any more please share!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️