New crabs !

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

RAHermits

Re: New crabs !

Post by RAHermits » Fri May 15, 2020 2:51 pm

22pony22 wrote:Still in shell. I keep thinking I smell something on him. Just put back in tank with the shells I just received for him around him. Really worried about him :/
Wait, is he in the shell or not? I'm confused. If he's in the shell that's good.

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Fri May 15, 2020 3:14 pm

That’s what he looked like when I picked him up. I read on other posts that dead crabs are in curled positions with eyes tucked in. And if you gently grab a leg- if they slide around they are dead. I just tried that and he fell out completely and his eye stocks look like that (tucked in).

I don’t understand what happened he successfully molted and ate well last Sunday. Didn’t do much on Monday, stayed in same place on Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday. Found naked today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
22pony22
Current pets: Happy, Crabcake, Blue and Becca.
RIP: Peaches, Fred, Fishy, Goldie, Buddy, Hero, Nemo, Star, Aqua, Indy, King T. Hermy, Frogi, Grog, Yggorf, #4, Dude, Shelli and Bashful.

RAHermits

Post by RAHermits » Fri May 15, 2020 3:30 pm

22pony22 wrote:Image
That’s what he looked like when I picked him up. I read on other posts that dead crabs are in curled positions with eyes tucked in. And if you gently grab a leg- if they slide around they are dead. I just tried that and he fell out completely and his eye stocks look like that (tucked in).

I don’t understand what happened he successfully molted and ate well last Sunday. Didn’t do much on Monday, stayed in same place on Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday. Found naked today.

Definitely stop touching him and use the advice given to you on the emergency forum. Touching him will make things worse if he is still alive, which hopefully he will pull through.

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Fri May 15, 2020 3:32 pm

Ok. I will cover the tank and only leave the side with the digital read-outs visible. Praying that he's still alive.
22pony22
RIP: Peaches, Fred, Fishy, Goldie, Buddy, Hero, Nemo, Star, Aqua, Indy, King T. Hermy, Frogi, Grog, Yggorf, #4, Dude, Shelli and Bashful.

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:13 am

Definitely know he’s passed away now.

RIP bashful

22pony22

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat May 16, 2020 8:35 pm

22pony22 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:13 am
Definitely know he’s passed away now.

RIP bashful

I am so sorry for your loss, Pony. I've been following these posts and feel super bad for you :( Bashful seemed like a great crab, but know you did the best you could for him/her. Please feel better soon. Sending good wishes :love::
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:02 pm

To make sure I wasn't imagining it I gave Happy a smell (happy wasn't happy about that--shockingly didn't pinch me). Bashful was definitely dead. I thought I smelled little fishy smell yesterday but this smelled just as bad as when my snail Shelli died. Wrapped Bashful up in paper towel and put him in the garage with my 2 bettas that died over the winter.

Contacted PetSmart Yesterday about the source of their fish-meal in their pellet food. Tammy at Hermit Crab Patch was very helpful. She even provided insight into what may of caused Bashful's death. I will be getting a new hermit crab on Tuesday when the PetSmart re-opens for sales of Fish, Reptile and small animals. I will be returning to the store that I bought Hermy (RIP), Bashful (RIP) and Happy from. Happy and Bashful were bought March 15 and the city when into COVID lock down around that time too. So, it possible that some of those crabs could of been there when Happy and Bashful were purchased? Just wondering how I would go about introducing them?

I have the tank set up absolutely amazingly. next time I get on my phone app for hermit crab association ill post a picture.

Anyway, thanks for those that helped with Bashful. But, Tammy at hermit crab patch was definitely very helpful I initially emailed her to thank her for the extra items she included in my first ever order from there. Definitely looking forward to getting a food order in (hopefully, after the COVID-19 pandemic ends. Because that was beyond ridiculous getting the package shipped. The united states postal service gives very vague information--probably was flown out of Miami airport, ended up in Mississauga area was still in Mississauga on the day that it was suppose to arrive (Thursday). Arrived in my city for more possessing then was shockingly shipped out and even with me telling them my preferred delivery location as my front door they put it in the mailbox at the park. Definitely, going to do further re-search on what types of food is allowed into Canada. Assuming that all the food that Hermit Crab Patch and Hermie Kitchen using in their food is human grade ingredients (with some exceptions--obviously worm casting aren't for people to eat). I work for a food delivery company and we only ship food to Canadian provinces and even with that cannot ship any meat based meals to BC. So, assuming that there could be some restrictions on meat based hermit crab food coming into Canada? Just don't want the hold up again of the excessive processing. Thankfully, Hermit Crab Patch packaged up my order very well and had a fragile sticker on it and none of my shells arrived broken. Can't wait till Happy moves into one of them. I have the shells at the back right, behind the hide/ wood from hermit crab patch and moss pit. there is two access points. hopefully, Happy can find them. cause I really have no other place to put them.

22pony22

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:32 pm

I have a less then half used bottle of Thrive Hermit Crab pellets and 2 bottles un-opened. I bought the two un-opened bottles last year. :( I had been putting about a half a teaspoon of crushed up pellets into their dish with multiple other foods. IDK if they were actually eating the pellets (hope not) because I was just trying to use them up by putting them in the dish. Think I will take them with me when I go to PetSmart on Tuesday to buy a new friend for Happy. I don't know if PetSmart is still suspending returns. I also have one bottle of the Zoo Med Hermit Crab pellets got with the tank. If I cannot return the Thrive Pellets maybe I'll try selling on market place.
22pony22

RAHermits

Post by RAHermits » Sun May 17, 2020 3:54 pm

I'm so sorry to hear he didn't make it! Be sure not to stress the other hermit crab by picking him up all the time, that's definitely not helping him or her.

Do you have a picture of your new setup we can see? Hopefully we can make sure it is good to go!

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Sun May 17, 2020 4:37 pm

22pony22

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Sun May 17, 2020 4:39 pm

22pony22 wrote:Image

Only picked up my other crab once today. He drove me crazy digging a giant hole under the food dish.

22pony22

RAHermits

Post by RAHermits » Sun May 17, 2020 4:52 pm

Tank looks good! Just make sure your pools are deep enough for the crabs to submerge.

As much as I'm sure you want to pick the crabs up, you have got to try your best not to. It's super stressful to them.

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Sun May 17, 2020 4:55 pm

How do I go about introducing them?

22pony22

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:00 pm

My shell shop is behind the coconut hide in the back right corner. The shells are basically piled on top of each other. I’m just worried about them getting stuck back there and abandoning shell trying to get free or being unable to find them. Will they “dig” around in the shells find one that fits? I tried to switch the moss dish and hide and they didn’t work. My moss dish is the thrive brown small dish that doesn’t fit in corners.

22pony22

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Tue May 19, 2020 7:19 am

I re did the tank yesterday night. And moved the shells to a new location. That I hope is more accessible to them.

Going to get Happy a new friend today. Hope the store has a good selection- Hoping for a crab that is about Bashful’s size because I have lots of shells that fit babies. But, a crab Hermy’s size would be good too. Hoping there isn’t any crabs Happy’s size or bigger cause I know I don’t have many shells that size. Hope my mom isn’t in a hurry to go home at the pet store! Looking for a active crab that has a brightly coloured claw that has an intact not painted shell.

22pony22