New Owner plus a couple of questions

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Alluna

New Owner plus a couple of questions

Post by Alluna » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:00 pm

Hi everyone,
First I want to thank you for a wonderful informative community, and I apologize if any of these are repeat questions, I am still finding my way around.

I recently adopted three small Purple Pincers (Lovingly named Feta, Mozzarella, and Havarti). I currently have them in a 10-gallon tank, with a larger tank on the way (I am getting it from a friend in another state and just waiting until they come to visit next month anyway). However, the second day I had them Mozzarella dug down and hasn't resurfaced. He has been there now for about two weeks with no foul smell emanating from the tank, I believe he is molting. I have been trying to just leave him alone and the other crabs don't seem to be bothering him at all.

Now for the hard part. When originally setting up my tank, I did not realize that I was supposed to soak the coconut fiber in saltwater to prevent mold, instead, I used just regular dechlorinated water. I also didn't realize that it was preferred to mix coconut fiber and sand and used only the coconut fiber. I would like to correct this, but I also don't want to disturb Mozzarella's molt. Feta and Havarti seem to be doing well. Should I just wait until Mozzarella resurfaces then change the substrate out? I currently don't have any mold problems except the one day my husband had surgery and I didn't change out the food, but I just removed the coconut fiber from around the food dish when I cleaned out the dish.

Very off-topic question #2: Havarti is definitely my most active crab, she will be out and about during the day and the night, and it has gotten to the point that most of the time when I walk by she doesn't hide back in her shell. Or if she does, it's not completely, and then she comes right back out after about 10-20 seconds. However, when my husband walks by, she hides immediately, and she is gone for a while. Can they really recognize different people or is this just my imagination? He does walk a lot heavier than I do and maybe that is it? He has never really interacted with them, just looked at their tank, but is pretty disappointed he never gets to see them out and about.

Which brings me to my final question. Feta, strictly only comes out at night, he comes out around 11 PM and stays out until around 2-3 AM. I saw him out during the early daylight hours once. My current setup is I have an under tank heat pad (but it is on the side of the tank), but I want to be able to see Feta during his few waking hours. Is there a recommended non-heat light I can use to watch him at night? Links would be helpful. Also, I live in the United States so I would need to be something I could get here.

Thank you in advance for the information. I appreciate your patience with this learning hermit mama.

asiankanye

Re: New Owner plus a couple of questions

Post by asiankanye » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:12 pm

1. Yes, you should wait until your hermit crab resurfaces. Unless there is anything like a bacterial bloom, do not dig molting hermit crabs out.

2. Not sure, but I do remember when I come around my hermit crab is fine, but when my dad comes to see him he hides. Not sure if it’s a coincidence or really their memory

3. You could get a Wyze camera and stick it in your tank and watch footage of him when he gets out. Otherwise, I think normal LED lights would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Owner plus a couple of questions

Post by curlysister » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:19 pm

You can use either dechlor fresh OR salt water to mix up your sub. And some people do use all EE. So what you have done is not wrong. I agree with AK, don't dig, the sub is fine. And if you do want to mix sand in with it in the future, don't throw out what you have, just add play sand to it.

As for lighting, I don't use any, but HCA has a care sheet all about it. But something else you might consider is a camera such as a Wyze Cam - you can watch them day and night, and your hubby could see them without having to go up to the tank too!

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=92543
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers