New adopter with lonely crab.

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Wrendictive

New adopter with lonely crab.

Post by Wrendictive » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:44 pm

I am a new crab keeper. A week ago, I had no plans to have new pets, but then I went to visit my mother and found two crabs abandoned by my niece at grandma's house. They were in a small critter keeper and not doing well. Sadly, despite my best efforts, one of them did not make it. :(

I've done my best for the other. I set up a habitat for in a 55-gal aquarium with sand/coco bedding, fresh and salt water pools, multiple hides, and ropes for climbing. I've been feeding fresh fruit and vegetables, blood worms, and scrambled eggs. I have new shells on the way and I plan to set up a moss pit. The little guy seems to be doing much better, but I'm concerned that he no longer has a friend.

I would like to adopt rather than support the trade in wild-caught crabs, but that might take some time. I'm concerned that being alone have negative effects. Will it be all right on its own or should I buy another?

DUDE

Re: New adopter with lonely crab.

Post by DUDE » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:09 am

you can check out the adoptions page on this forum for adoptions at http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... m.php?f=13 and maybe you'll find someone thats in your area
I personally think that its ok to leave the crab alone for the time being while you find an adopter

Topic author
Wrendictive

Post by Wrendictive » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:01 pm

Thanks! That makes me feel a little better.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:25 pm

Hello! Like mentioned above, please list your name on our Local Adopter's page, and also scroll through the Crabs looking for homes board :) Hopefully you will have some luck! You can also check out our Facebook page, and Craigslist in your area. Some people list on there instead of here :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Wrendictive

Post by Wrendictive » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:44 am

Thanks! I posted a reply under my state on the adopter's board. Is that the right place?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:13 pm

Wrendictive wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:44 am
Thanks! I posted a reply under my state on the adopter's board. Is that the right place?
Yw! Yes :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com