Eating, drinking, noise concerns.

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
LandFishh

Eating, drinking, noise concerns.

Post by LandFishh » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:30 am

So recently I've been working on the new tank, but simultaneously observing very closely (to see if there are any more obstacles). Here are the patterns I've noticed. One crab (They don't have names...) lets call him grey shell, comes out every day at ~4:00 PM when it's about 73° and 73% humidity. He doesn't go straight to the food bowl like the other crab, green shell. He goes straight to climbing, but not just any ol' wall climbing, I mean ceiling climbing! He is pretty good at it, so he hasn't met the consequence of falling. This concerns me because I don't see any sub in the waters, and none of the food is gone by the next day. Of course he comes out again at night, just to do the same thing. The interesting thing about these times is when it is quietest in the house. I'm betting that the sound is what is causing the lil crabbie back into hiding. Though I don't know why he climbs on top of the cage. Perhaps to listen to any of our conversations? Will being quieter make him want to eat more?

Thanks for any advice or answers, in advance.
Hermit crabs, Fish, (Soon to be snails?), Dog, Garden. :D

Hermiesguardian

Re: Eating, drinking, noise concerns.

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:47 am

If he's alive he's eating. I have a couple of crabs that seem to just walk/climb back and forth, not eat. Even walking through the food bowl without eating. And yes, they like climbing on the ceiling. My lid is mesh (covered in plexiglass) so it's easy for them to crawl on it.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:55 am

As HG said, it's totally normal for them to climb like that, nothing to worry about.
I swear that for the first two years that I had my crabs, the only way I knew they were eating is that they were alive. It seemed like I put in and took out the same amount of food every time, LOL. Just follow the recommended foods and food pyramid, and they will eat!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Ok, I've been feeding almonds, eggshells, lettuce, and on very few occasions honey. I think green shell is under, molting. I noticed a lot of eating earlier, and all of a sudden he/she stopped coming up. The new tank is almost finished, I'll move grey shell over in a few days, then green shell a couple days after he/she comes up.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:48 pm

What about protein? They need a variety of meat, insects, and seafood, or else they will go after eat other.

They also need fruit, as that is a large part of their diet in the wild!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:59 pm

Oh yeah. I forgot to say peeled apples. I do feel, however, I don't give them enough meat. Today I will go after some dried bloodworms. I gave them some meat last week, but it's tough to find the right stuff for them. Where do you all get your meats?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:44 pm

LandFishh wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:59 pm
Oh yeah. I forgot to say peeled apples. I do feel, however, I don't give them enough meat. Today I will go after some dried bloodworms. I gave them some meat last week, but it's tough to find the right stuff for them. Where do you all get your meats?
If you're a meat eater they can eat what you eat. Just without any seasonings. Chicken, pork, beef, salmon... they can eat it raw or cooked. I will cut off some before I cook or season it and freeze it. Of course organic is best but if most of their diet is organic and some meats aren't that's ok. Imo. I have a section in my freezer with bags of small individually wrapped variety of meats, just for the crabs.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:08 pm

Freeze-dried fish and reptile food work great for hermits. Just make sure it's whole dried items like the bloodworms. There are many options! Shrimp, gammarus, crickets, mealworms, etc.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:22 pm

Ok, good to know. Thanks.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:47 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote: If you're a meat eater they can eat what you eat. Just without any seasonings. Chicken, pork, beef, salmon... they can eat it raw or cooked. I will cut off some before I cook or season it and freeze it. Of course organic is best but if most of their diet is organic and some meats aren't that's ok. Imo. I have a section in my freezer with bags of small individually wrapped variety of meats, just for the crabs.
Ooooh great idea with the lil bits in baggies! I am going to need to do something similar. We only cook a substantial ‘meat’ 2-3x/week so that’s a perfect solution. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 pm

Overmountain1 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:47 pm
Ooooh great idea with the lil bits in baggies! I am going to need to do something similar. We only cook a substantial ‘meat’ 2-3x/week so that’s a perfect solution. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're welcome!