Crab not moving shortly after loss of friend

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
HPOfficeJetPro6978

Crab not moving shortly after loss of friend

Post by HPOfficeJetPro6978 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:19 pm

My most active crab has recently stopped moving, he hugs the wall, while their is a heating pad on that wall the whole tank is perfect temperature and humidity. I am also mold purging his hide, he cant fit in the other one so im not sure if thats why, whats also worrying is this is after the loss of his friend. I wonder if he is depressed because of this, i havent seen him get food or water either

Motörcrab

Re: Crab not moving shortly after loss of friend

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:43 pm

It's debatable on if crabs feel any type of emotion. I don't think they have the same emotions as us. When crabs mate the male will often guard the female. I have seen two crabs seem to buddy up and follow each other. A lot of it could just be us putting human emotions to an animal. It's really hard to say.

He could just be hiding in the corner because that's where he feels the safest. If you have any butter containers you could make that into a temporary hide.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
HPOfficeJetPro6978

Post by HPOfficeJetPro6978 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:21 am

false alarm, it seems he just really wanted to chew on a wood piece for a couple of days :)

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Fri May 01, 2020 8:10 pm

HPOfficeJetPro6978 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:21 am
false alarm, it seems he just really wanted to chew on a wood piece for a couple of days :)
Glad to hear that! Sorry about your loss. Feel better soon :love::
Edit: To clarify, your lost crabby :(
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺