Attack or Mating?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
jonathon1989

Attack or Mating?

Post by jonathon1989 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:04 am

So last night I went into my room to get something and I see Clawdia pinning down Coral in the saltwater dish. Coral was chirping up a storm and I finally managed to separate them. So now I have a piece of cardboard separating them in the tank until I can get more substrate for the spare tank that I have. No one lost any limbs, thankfully.

This is the second time this has happened in a few days. But I wanted to ask if it it was possible they were trying to mate? But from what I read, hermit crabs mate in early summer and in saltwater. Also, they were in the exact position as show in the picture below.

But I wanted to know how I should proceed. I appreciate any advice and feedback.

Jonathon
Last edited by jonathon1989 on Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
jonathon1989

Bad Attack Last Night

Post by jonathon1989 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:07 am

This is how they looked, exactly. I got this from a hermit crab mating video. How do I know if its a fight or mating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Attack or Mating?

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:36 pm

Mine breed out of the water.

This is the time for breeding. You kind of just have to watch to see to determine what it is. If they stay in this position, then it is breeding. If one hermit tries to pull the other out, then it is fighting. More than likely it is breeding during this time of the year.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:04 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Mine breed out of the water.

This is the time for breeding. You kind of just have to watch to see to determine what it is. If they stay in this position, then it is breeding. If one hermit tries to pull the other out, then it is fighting. More than likely it is breeding during this time of the year.
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:07 pm

Yw! :) My females tend to dig down in the sand after mating to stay away from the males. The males just want to mate constantly. Then, when they are getting ready to spawn, they tend to get pretty active on their wheels. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:13 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:07 pm
Yw! :) My females tend to dig down in the sand after mating to stay away from the males. The males just want to mate constantly. Then, when they are getting ready to spawn, they tend to get pretty active on their wheels. :)
Thats what Coral has been doing. I didnt know they did that.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:19 pm

I don't check my hermits, but a lot of crabbers do. (I personally just do 100% hands off- that's just me!) They keep their eggs practically near their abdomen.

Edit: If you want to try to raise them - make sure your marine saltwater pools have freshwater every few days and have airstones. Hopefully she will release the zoeae in your pool when they are ready.