Ultratherm UTH insulating questions

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

bbcraft22

Re: Ultratherm UTH insulating questions

Post by bbcraft22 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:33 pm

how much temp would it give if the temp was originally 75 degrees?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:34 pm

bbcraft22 wrote:how much temp would it give if the temp was originally 75 degrees?

If you're talking specifically about Relfectix then I'm not sure, but insulating makes my Ultratherm boost the tank to 80+, in the summer I had just the back insulated it was up on the high end of 80s, even up to 90 at some point. With just the back for colder months, it's been down in the 70s, particularly above 75 f and at most 80-82. I added insulation on the sides for these colder months today and so far it's up by around 2-5 degrees.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:52 am

am I sble to just take it off when it is already hot?

"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:13 am

I'm not quite sure what you mean? The insulation and uth should feel warm to your touch. I recommend the uth be unplugged if you are moving it at all. The insulation can be adjusted regardless of temp/ the uth being plugged in or not.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk
Last edited by Rawrgeous on Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

rf9661

Post by rf9661 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:36 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:
Visual wrote:Woah I need to get me some of that. Have any of you guys experienced higher crab activity levels when the Temps in your tank stay higher??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Yes, any lower than 80 degrees makes your crabs sluggish. Mid 80s is where most notice the highest amounts of activity.
I cant second that. I live in South Florida, my crabitat is outside and the tank is usually around 73°F and they do just fine! Something to remember is that hermit crabs ARE nocturnal, they will always be more active during the/at night.
2 Strawberry Hermit Crabs & 2 Purple Pincher Hermit Crabs
2 German Schnauzers

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:39 pm

rf9661 wrote: I cant second that. I live in South Florida, my crabitat is outside and the tank is usually around 73°F and they do just fine! Something to remember is that hermit crabs ARE nocturnal, they will always be more active during the/at night.
Most people on here notice more activity when it is in the mid 80s typically. Plus I've heard that prolonged exposure to cold can cause organ failure. 70 is able to survive, but 80 is thriving.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:46 pm

i mean like if it is already to the 80 s without the reflectix, could i just take it off?

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:19 am

Yes. Usually insulation is just taped on the tank.

Visual

Post by Visual » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:57 am

I attempted the cheep o version yesterday. Lining card board with aluminum and taping to the outside of my tanks. It's done wonders! Where would I be with out this forum?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Sometimes there's fire, sometimes there's rain
www.loverochambeau.com

amwilliams

Post by amwilliams » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:23 pm

I went to Home Depot yesterday and got a big ol' roll of Reflectix for about $10. Wasn't very expensive at all and will now have a ton leftover. I just used packing tape to put it over my cardboard/foil insulated UTH and the temps are boosting big time in just the 30 minutes I've had it on! Highly recommend.

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Definitely. I actually use the leftover Reflectix as a sunshade for my van! It's nice that it's not as flexible as other sunshades and I can cut it to length

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Ultratherm UTH insulating questions

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:43 pm

Okay, so I actually decided to purchase the ultratherm from reptile basics instead of using the zoo meds that I've had for years. I really don't need it where I am, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Especially since I recently upgraded to 100gallons. Anyway, which side faces the tank? So far I put it so copper side faces in the tank bc it looks like that is the flat side of where the cord part is, but how did you guys do it? Thanks!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:10 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Okay, so I actually decided to purchase the ultratherm from reptile basics instead of using the zoo meds that I've had for years. I really don't need it where I am, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Especially since I recently upgraded to 100gallons. Anyway, which side faces the tank? So far I put it so copper side faces in the tank bc it looks like that is the flat side of where the cord part is, but how did you guys do it? Thanks! Image

Same here:)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:26 pm

Ty Kermie16!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:22 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Ty Kermie16!

No prob! Really don't remember mine coming with any sort of directions on how to put it Image Glad we're on the same page! Lol