Project: Under the Dome! (115gal acrylic tank)

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Daniel

Project: Under the Dome! (115gal acrylic tank)

Post by Daniel » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:53 am

Hey folks, I'm Daniel.

Me and my bud Chris are hermie maniacs and we wanted to introduce you to our project "Under the Dome". It's a 115 gal tank we built from acrylic to meet all the hermie living requirements for straws. The acrylic tank allowed us to build a mini aquarium and mount perches by drilling into the acrylic. We designed the tank to be taller than it is wider because it allows us to create a deep 11" substrate, while giving plenty of room for climbing. The tank is kept in the closet so I can more easily control the temperature to keep it at 80C during evenings. I didn't want to risk putting a heat lamp on or near acrylic, and heat pads wouldn't work on a good insulator like acrylic, so I went with a small radiator and ventilation holes around the top area.

FEATURES:
  • 3 levels: Bottom substrate/shell level, Middle food & water reservoir level and Canopy/mosspits level
  • Sphagnum Moss pits bound onto the side of the tank with stainless steel screws
  • Water reservoir above substrate level is bubbled with airstones
  • Food shelf furthest from the humidifier inlet to delay mold growth
  • A camera at the top so I can see whats going on when I'm away
  • Heater & humidity are controlled automatically set to 80/80
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Its been quite a learning experience this past year. Initially, building the acrylic tank was a nightmare: aside from being 2-4x more expensive than glass ($552 for four 2'x4' and two 2'x2' acrylic panels), the binding solvent was unforgiving in that it dried up really fast. So we took a lot of time to prepare it. Ultimately it was worth it though, because we had the ability to drill into the acrylic panels and continue to add new stuff onto the walls. Later into the year, the straws I ordered came with mites which ended up killing one of my smaller crabs a month later (tons of mites in it's shell). I had to order hypoaspis miles (or mite-killing mites) to cleanse the tank. Also, some of the polished shells I ordered from ebay clearly had muriatic acid residual inside (used to dissolve the snail) since my finger went numb after feeling the inside of the shell.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Aside from these rough patches, the hermies love the new tank! they're so active: the reds usually stay near the water reservoirs and spend a lot of time submerging themselves or at the bottom level where the humidity is at it's highest and moving whatever objects they can. My PPs spend a lot of time on the canopy, they like to fight for the highest point in the tank for some reason. My Es are incredibly intelligent, I've seen them poking at the PPs/reds to test the reaction. They also find the weirdest and most creative hiding places. My crabbies aren't even scared of me anymore, they're always like"oh... its the janitor" or "well? where's my popcorn.."

FUTURE IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Driftwood on the canopy level
  • Adding walls to the wooden framework
  • Possible filtration system for the water reservoir--which has pretty much become a straw bathroom
  • Ideas from the community
My friend and I work on the tank a little bit each weekend, so I'd love to continue to keep everyone updated when there are enough significant changes. Cheers.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Project: Under the Dome! (115gal acrylic tank)

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:05 am

Looking good. My only option would be to add either some live or fake plants to increase hiding places and to make it a bit more visually pleasing. Looking good.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:51 am

That's is AWESOME! :shock: Dem are some lucky crabs! :)
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:26 am

Cool! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:37 am

Wow! What a project! Looks great!

I agree with AussieJJDude about adding more hiding spaces - especially going up the tank. You can get great looking long vines/ferns from craft stores - Those would look great in your tank.

Humidity: 80 is the minimum for humidity - you can go higher. I keep my humidity at 99%. I have 4 established crabitats with no mold issues. Even if you were to get mold - it does eventually die off, and mold doesn't hurt the crabs - just us.

Heat: Straws and E's love higher heat. I keep my heat up to 85 during the day. PPs don't mind 85 either. I have PPs, Straws, Es and Lilas. ;)

UVB - It appears as though you may have it by the look of the lighting colors - but Straws really do much better with UVB. Imo - all crabs benefit from it :)

Substrate - If I were you, I would probably add a little more substrate. Straws love to dig just as much as Es (IMO). Substrate should be a minimum of three times the height of your largest crab - and your straws look huge! Love the straw in the African Turbo! Not many crabs like those! Anyways - you wouldn't want a molting catastrophe.

That's my two cents! Love the project!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:12 am

GotButterflies wrote:Wow! What a project! Looks great!

I agree with AussieJJDude about adding more hiding spaces - especially going up the tank. You can get great looking long vines/ferns from craft stores - Those would look great in your tank.

Humidity: 80 is the minimum for humidity - you can go higher. I keep my humidity at 99%. I have 4 established crabitats with no mold issues. Even if you were to get mold - it does eventually die off, and mold doesn't hurt the crabs - just us.

Heat: Straws and E's love higher heat. I keep my heat up to 85 during the day. PPs don't mind 85 either. I have PPs, Straws, Es and Lilas. ;)

UVB - It appears as though you may have it by the look of the lighting colors - but Straws really do much better with UVB. Imo - all crabs benefit from it :)

Substrate - If I were you, I would probably add a little more substrate. Straws love to dig just as much as Es (IMO). Substrate should be a minimum of three times the height of your largest crab - and your straws look huge! Love the straw in the African Turbo! Not many crabs like those! Anyways - you wouldn't want a molting catastrophe.

That's my two cents! Love the project!! :)
Dadgummit Daniel!!! You and Chris are the coolest janitors I ever did see!!! How long have y'all had the fever? I too love that unusual shell. Last year, before I found out my guys would not use them, I ordered 3 online. They're expensive too. Dust collectors.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:27 pm

Sweeeeeeet. #tatgoals :lol:
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:15 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Sweeeeeeet. #tatgoals :lol:
I don't know why...but I have a feeling that there are probably more tattoos than crabitats under #tatgoals!! :hlol:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:24 pm

this is cool, for decoration ideas check out frog terrariums, with some slight modifications they can do well for crabs. Which product are you using to control the temperature/humidity automatically?

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:23 pm

Wow love the setup. Also I would love to have straws someday too, they are gorgeous! How many crabs do you have?

jclee

Post by jclee » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:36 pm

Ditto. This is amazing work, and I am quite jealous.
120G with 5 hermit crabs, varied ages/sizes, most are jumbo by this point.
I have a bunch of other critters, too! You can see them all here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:39 am

GotButterflies wrote:
LadyJinglyJones wrote:Sweeeeeeet. #tatgoals :lol:
I don't know why...but I have a feeling that there are probably more tattoos than crabitats under #tatgoals!! :hlol:
I cant imagine why you would think that. :roll:

Anyhow - any update on the Dome? I just wanted to add hamster wheel as a suggestion.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(