Roshi's Story

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
soilentgringa

Roshi's Story

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:46 am

I received a message via the HCA FB page the other day, from someone local to me who brought a marine crab home from Galveston.

They were collecting shells and had no idea that this little guy was tucked away, very far back into his home.

They needed to find a home for it right away so I told them I would take it and foster it until a permanent solution could be found.

He came in a kritter keeper full of calci sand.

I gave him a bath to get all of the yellow sand off of him.

I asked the DFW Marine Aquarium Society for help. One of their admins told me to get some live rock, Instant Ocean and Prime, and that would be sufficient until I could get him to a cycled marine tank.

They cannot live with other fish from what saltwater enthusiasts have told me as they are aggressive and will eat other animals in the tank.

We had a spare 5 gallon and pump, and my friend bought a heater and the sand. We had plenty of shells and chunks of coral that were collected from beaches (came with adoptions).

He changed shells and he does not understand the glass walls. He wants to go explore the ocean.

Aaaaand...there he goes...

I replaced the hood with a screened lid for now and will fix the hood so he can't get out.

Please don't collect shells from beaches. Just don't do it.

Had I not had almost everything here already to set this temporary home up, it would have cost over $100 for everything easily.

Wild animals need to be left in the wild. I know it was an accident and I know the people felt so bad about what happened.

Shells should stay on the beach as well. Take pictures of your amazing finds and leave them on the shore.

This has been a PSA from Soilentgringa. Signing out!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Roshi's Story

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:59 pm

Have you got any live rock in the tank besides dead exoskeletons of corals? If so, you will be it to cycle the tank. In an a established freshwater aquarium, the filter is responsible for converting the waste (ammonia) into less harmful wastes (first nitrates and then nitrites). Of course, water changes are essential for the removal of nitrites.
Parallel to the freswater setup, the live rock is responsible for this biological function. Live rock also has beneficial bacteria, algae and micro-organisms to develop a mature marine aquaria. :)
Think of the live rock like the life support of the system, like a heater is for our land hermit crabs.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:12 am

The sand is live sand. This is a temporary setup while I try to find a permanent home for him. Someone brought him to Dallas from Galveston and contacted us at HCA Adoptions to see if we could find a home for it ASAP. Since I am also in Dallas and had a spare tank, I contacted the Marine Aquarium Society and one of their admins walked me through setting up a suitable holding tank until he can go to a forever home.
The coral was here at the house already; I didn't buy it specifically for this tank. I don't plan on having a permanent saltwater setup.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:47 pm

I just wanted to let you know that you are so great with all you do! The world truly needs more folks like you, and maybe our ecosystems wouldn't be in such danger!

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

Topic author
soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:07 pm

Rawrgeous wrote:I just wanted to let you know that you are so great with all you do! The world truly needs more folks like you, and maybe our ecosystems wouldn't be in such danger!

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk
That is very kind of you to say. Image Image

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:57 pm

soilentgringa wrote:The sand is live sand.
Ahhh thats great to hear! Yeah, the live sand should be fine and depending on the length of his stay, the beneficial bacteria will colonise the coral.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:00 am

Roshi molted!
Sorry the pic isn't great but his entire exo is sitting on top of his shell. The view is from behind. You may be able to make out an antennae sticking out of the left side of the shell.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:10 am

Wow! Do marine crabs consume their exos like land crabs?
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:53 pm

Crabinski wrote:Wow! Do marine crabs consume their exos like land crabs?
I believe so but he hadn't started at that point. I'll check on him later. I felt like he maybe needed some privacy lol, I felt like I was intruding. Not to anthropomorphize too much but I'm so used to molting being an underground act performed in darkness that it was strange to see it happen in "broad daylight" as it were.
At least I know his conditions are okay if he is molting properly? I hope? Am going to get a larger tank for him soon, the dollar per gallon sale is coming up.

ahs1016

Post by ahs1016 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:51 am

I had kinda the same situation.
My friends were visiting relatives in Florida (Pensacola beach) and one of their sons collected shells and accidentally grabbed a hermit crab. They went home and found out about it. They didn't know how to treat the crab so went on the internet for infos and made a habitat for the crab with sand/coconut fiber/toys/under tank heater/thermometer and humidity gauge/lights ec everything for a land crab.
So when they told me, I started wondering if it's a saltwater crab then it's not the proper set up for him. I have land hermit so I don't really have the idea for saltwater one.
They have it for more than a week now and they told me they gave him strawberries, oats, flax seed, chia seed, lettuce, carrots and apple since they have it.
How can I help them to do the right setup?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:03 am

First off, try and see if you can get your hands on a couple of pics of the said crab. It could be a SW hermie, and no matter what you do, it will not be able to live in an environment long term for a land hermit crab.