Land snails...

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Land snails...

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:45 pm

I was really interested in owning land snails about a year ago, and I find myself interested again... the only thing is trying to figure out what species can be imported into my state, if any can at all... :?:
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Re: Land snails...

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:47 pm

Obviously GALS are illegal everywhere in the United States, but I'm looking into other species.
Captive Bred PP = Randy

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:17 pm

To my knowledge so far, they're pretty much illegal. I'd have to find a native species to Ohio and take it in if I wanted one. Might just settle for slugs, I mean they crawl into our shower a lot.
Captive Bred PP = Randy

robinwhiskers

Post by robinwhiskers » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:15 am

I have land snails and I'm part of petsnails.proboards.com
It is a very great sight for starters! Let me know if you have any questions!
Rest in peace, Brigadier (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Lola (9/21/15) (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Harley (adopted on 4/29/16)
Rest in peace, Acuff (adopted in 5/20)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:24 am

Have you though about their aquatic cousins? Apple snails, malaysian trumpet snails, ramshorn snail, assassin snails ect???
I too love snails, but not many species are offered in australia, so I kind of subsitute with the aquatic cousins... Marine snails also could be a good alternative, if your interested in plunging into the salty depths.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:44 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Have you though about their aquatic cousins? Apple snails, malaysian trumpet snails, ramshorn snail, assassin snails ect???
I too love snails, but not many species are offered in australia, so I kind of subsitute with the aquatic cousins... Marine snails also could be a good alternative, if your interested in plunging into the salty depths.
Good point!! I'll have to look into that alternative.
Captive Bred PP = Randy

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:28 pm

If you go the aquatic route, I can't recommend rabbit snails enough! They're not as common but might be the most charming snails I've ever encountered. They come in bright oranges, delight in carrots and lettuce, are very peaceful and active. More than one is probably best. Mine hang out together a lot. Also, nerites are cute too. They come in a lot of variety.

I'd avoid assassins if you're attached to your pets - they eat other snails & are used in aquariums mostly to keep pest species at bay.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:04 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:If you go the aquatic route, I can't recommend rabbit snails enough! They're not as common but might be the most charming snails I've ever encountered. They come in bright oranges, delight in carrots and lettuce, are very peaceful and active. More than one is probably best. Mine hang out together a lot. Also, nerites are cute too. They come in a lot of variety.

I'd avoid assassins if you're attached to your pets - they eat other snails & are used in aquariums mostly to keep pest species at bay.
haha yeah... Rabbit snails are soo cute. Its a shame that you can't keep them in aus, thats why I didn't mention them... :lol: I just listed off some of the more common - and illegal... assassin snail - available in australia.

Assassin's make great pets by themselves! I was more listing them as an oddity, as some people are interesting in unique animal behaviours and diets. Even though most of these snails can be kept togethor, I always prefer just to stick with "species" tanks.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

bullshop

Post by bullshop » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:39 pm

never heard of land snails for sale --- *interesting* !! will have to look into them :-)