New Animals

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Hermias_mom

Re: New Animals

Post by Hermias_mom » Fri May 12, 2017 9:08 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:I plan on completely surrounding myself with the animals this summer so hopefully I will have fun, I do not have any in real life friends and I have to turn in my only device with internet access which is the school computer. I'm afraid of having to deal with some of my mental health issues by myself but I feel like it is my fault for not having anyone to talk to. I do not have social skills and I do not know how to start conversations/keep the conversation going, and I'm very paranoid of other people's intentions. I'm hoping the summer won't suck as bad as I'm pretty sure it's going to.
:( Sorry to hear that. We'll miss you on the forum, if it helps. :)

Animals are great, and it's pretty fun to train them if you have time for that and they're so inclined. My cat was my best friend for most of my youth, and I also had a really awesome dog that we did agility training with. Raising baby critters is pretty awesome and rewarding too, if you have the opportunity.

One thing you might try is joining a non-online group of folks around where you will be living who like to do the same thing (karate, jogging, fencing (it's kinda like 3D-chess), beekeepers societies, gardening societies, book clubs, etc.). That will give you something to talk about with other people, and opportunities to practice your conversation and social skills in a low-stress environment - you already know everyone likes whatever the subject of the group is, so you don't have to work so hard to pick a topic. I found the things that helped me most with social skills and conversing were practice, practice, practice, and close observation of folks who knew how to do it well. And I also read a bunch of self-help books - some of those were more useful than others and gave me some really good ideas, but really, practicing was the most helpful, and then kinda reviewing how each conversation went, and what I might do better next time.

Hope you have a great summer! :D
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri May 12, 2017 9:24 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:I plan on completely surrounding myself with the animals this summer so hopefully I will have fun, I do not have any in real life friends and I have to turn in my only device with internet access which is the school computer. I'm afraid of having to deal with some of my mental health issues by myself but I feel like it is my fault for not having anyone to talk to. I do not have social skills and I do not know how to start conversations/keep the conversation going, and I'm very paranoid of other people's intentions. I'm hoping the summer won't suck as bad as I'm pretty sure it's going to.
Sorry to hear about this PinchersAndShells! I would have never guessed that your were this way, and still don't believe it based off of your posts! You have always been so helpful and informative to anyone who has needed it! I will be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. Keep your chin up! You will be missed!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri May 12, 2017 10:02 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Sorry to hear about this PinchersAndShells! I would have never guessed that your were this way, and still don't believe it based off of your posts! You have always been so helpful and informative to anyone who has needed it! I will be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. Keep your chin up! You will be missed!
As someone who deals with mental illness on a daily basis, I can tell you that many of us go to great lengths to appear "normal" or neurotypical. It is exhausting.

@pinchersandshells Do lots of self care and surround yourself with all the animals. *hugs*

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sat May 13, 2017 2:06 am

Thank you all, I'm hoping I can convince my dad to give me my old iPod touch back so I can talk sometimes. I'll try self care, and I'll continue to focus on things I like to do. I'm currently looking for another job and maybe I will see what kinds of programs the library is offering this summer, so hopefully I can get some interaction in in that aspect. Thank you again,
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat May 13, 2017 12:33 pm

That would be great! Hope it works out for you! Our library has computers that they let people use for whatever they want. They have time allotments to use them. Maybe yours does to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com