Coconut Crabs

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

EdisNiksic

Re: Coconut Crabs

Post by EdisNiksic » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:38 am

In that one survival show on discovery with the husband and wife, the couple caught a coconut crab for themselves and as they were eating it they were saying how wonderful it tastes.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
Pyre Shep Nina,GSD Balotelli,30 Purple Pinchers,1 Red Foot Tortoise,1 Russian Tortoise,7 Rabbits,4 Ruggies,3 Indos,3 Strawberries,16 Aussies,1 Reeves Turtle,one 20 gal Mollie Tank,two 5 gal nano freshwater planted tanks with Bettas,one 29 Gal Freshwater Tank,2 Guppy/Mystery Snail breeder tanks

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:25 pm

You can import them for food. I planned if I ever won a lottery and set up my dream crabitat (industrial sized greenhouse turned into half jungle half beach), I'd order a couple. :P They are so neat!
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

hermitcrab101

Post by hermitcrab101 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:00 pm

This is the only place I've ever seen them for sale… http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/H ... 17260.html

Topic author
WingedWalrus

Post by WingedWalrus » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:49 pm

I don't think that link is legit - it just says them listed as hermit crabs but shows the odd picture of the coconut crab. How did you find it? I'm tempted to see if it works!?
11 purple pinchers - Plum, Rillow, Arthinia, unnamed, unnamed, unnamed Biggie-Smalls, Ignatius, Ilan, unnamed, unnamed
1 ecuadorians - Adaara
1 ball python - Tungsten
1 corn snake - Seaborg
1 albino redtail boa - Kobuk
1 kenyan sandboa - Cadmus

Topic author
WingedWalrus

Post by WingedWalrus » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:50 pm

wolfnipplechips wrote:You can import them for food. I planned if I ever won a lottery and set up my dream crabitat (industrial sized greenhouse turned into half jungle half beach), I'd order a couple. :P They are so neat!
I love your idea! Your comments make me smile. You are a crab whisperer.
11 purple pinchers - Plum, Rillow, Arthinia, unnamed, unnamed, unnamed Biggie-Smalls, Ignatius, Ilan, unnamed, unnamed
1 ecuadorians - Adaara
1 ball python - Tungsten
1 corn snake - Seaborg

hermitcrab101

Post by hermitcrab101 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:18 am

WingedWalrus wrote:I don't think that link is legit - it just says them listed as hermit crabs but shows the odd picture of the coconut crab. How did you find it? I'm tempted to see if it works!?
I just kind of stubled upon it looking for places to buy exotic hermit crabs from. I think it is legit since they also sell several other hermit crab species. If you want to try to get one it's a bit hard, your going to have to get this importation lisnses from the wild life department and then pick it up at a designated port since the supplier is in Indonesia. Thats why I never considerd ordering hermit crabs from another country after I found that out.

Topic author
WingedWalrus

Post by WingedWalrus » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:33 am

Oh how weird.... Now I am kind of seriously tempted, just to see what I'd get.

Wonder how much the importation license costs... Hmm.
1 ecuadorians - Adaara
1 ball python - Tungsten
1 corn snake - Seaborg

hermitcrab101

Post by hermitcrab101 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:25 pm

WingedWalrus wrote:Wonder how much the importation license costs... Hmm.
I think the license(s) are free or under $100, If you got one you could also import other exotic hermit crabs.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:22 am

Export fees, import fees, fees for the application to be an importer, and you have to have them delivered to an international airport that is capable of doing customs on live animals as not all are. There are fees on customs as well. It's not a walk in the park, but if you had the money it's totally doable.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Dom :)

Post by Dom :) » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:20 am

I've seen one in an Aqarium, in the gift shop. It was alive! It was in a Aqarium in Tennessee
Just the basic 10 gallon set up with 2 crabs, plus a 55 gallon at my dad's.

715banana

Post by 715banana » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:18 pm

There is one in Florida Aquarium if you just want to have a look :)

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:37 pm

I love them too! They love shiny things and so are also known as robber crabs because they hide shiny things. I want to give one a watch someday
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

Emily

Post by Emily » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:44 am

They are not good as pets.

1. If you think a pinch from a 3inch crab hurts, imagine what a full grown 3 foot monster could do. Risks of getting your fingers cut off more like... their claws are meant for breaking coconuts. If you don't think it could accidentally take off a finger, then you're dreaming.

2. The husbandry is super specific. Having at least 6 feet of substrate for them to dig and molt in just isn't feasible for normal people. They like climbing coconut trees, imagine trying to provide climbing stuff for them :/. Plus their diet is specific to tropical fruits and coconuts for the healthiest crabs. While they topple over garbage cans for food, I suspect the ones that live the longest are those that don't accidentally eat some leftover fries that got tossed.

3. They are becoming locally extinct where humans exist.

While we are doing our best to try and get our crabs to procreate in captivity, we have rarely succeeded, so its best to leave the coconut crab to its own devices and breed in the wild.
Returning crabber. Used to own 7 crabs.
5 PP's and 2 Ruggies. <3

Dom :)

Post by Dom :) » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:48 pm

They had two at a land animal exhibit in an aquarium in TN
Just the basic 10 gallon set up with 2 crabs, plus a 55 gallon at my dad's.

Mrflufay

Post by Mrflufay » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:08 am

I've seen live ones on triop Germany