Mice

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
CallaLily

Re: Mice

Post by CallaLily » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:05 pm

It's basically where they're in the habit of holding their tail up over their backs. Usually from having a wheel that is too small but sometimes I think badly bred mice are prone to it, even if they have a proper wheel.

It's not a big deal at the moment, but if she keeps holding it like this most of the time, it can lead to back problems down the road. She is putting it down some but mostly it's up. I'm hoping she'll break the habit soon.

Edit to add link to pic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_0GOdCvMCk/

This pic doesn't show it very well, I'll try to get another one later. But she basically holds it over her back, sort of like a scorpion's tail.
KellyCrabbieLove wrote: I had a prairie dog named Kira with "cage head" from where she was rubbing it on her cage chewing on the bars. She could not deal with me being in the room yet not holding her. Lol
Awwwww!

(edit again to remove quoted pics since Tapatalk never shows these right :roll: )

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:25 am

This month sucks. :(

I lost Daryl yesterday. We've been dealing with the eye inflammation for months but he never acted sick before, he was always playful and energetic. The night before he wasn't acting like his usual self and his eyes had come back into another bad phase. I talked to my husband about the possibility of having him PTS but it never came to that. He passed away in my hands last night, here at home. He was 15 months old. :(

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:11 am

Oh, CallaLily, what bad news. Sadly, all too often rodents show no signs of serious illness before passing (that has been the case with about 50% of my mice over the years). At least Daryl enjoyed a second chance at a happy home with your clan and was certainly loved while he was with you.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:50 pm

Dangit. I'm so sorry Calla. You had tried everything for him. :comfort:
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

Jeeze, I'm so sorry, Calla. :( I'm glad Daryl had such a good home with you. At least he had a chance to be loved and spoiled before he passed. Sending lots of hugs your way. :hug:

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:50 pm

Oh, I'm really sorry to hear about Daryl. :( I'm glad he had such a good life with you. It's hard when they go downhill so quickly.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:17 am

Thank you, everyone.

I know they hide illness well. What I meant was, though Daryl's eyes almost always looked sore (and I constantly worried about that), he still continued to be active and playful right up until the day before he passed. He endured vet visits and medicine doses like a champ. Grabbing the attention of other waiting pet parents and staff with his sweet face and playfulness. He was always ready and waiting to hop on my hand and hang out in my sleeve or hoodie. Giving my youngest son mousey "kisses" on the nose.

When I noticed he might be suffering, that's when I spoke to my husband about the possibility of having him pts. I didn't want him suffering. But his time came before we had reached a final decision.

I tried to post these pics the other day but Tapatalk wasn't cooperating. These are just a few of my favorites of Daryl over the far too short amount of time he was with us.

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:53 pm

Seren is warming up to me. :)

And a cute pic I managed to catch of Celyn.

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:09 pm

Cheeseburger is still doing great! She and the baby sisters are getting along really well.
I'm so happy to see her doing so well (and no longer alone!), as she grows closer and closer to 2 years. It's such a joy to see her out and about every morning and evening, begging for treats. :love5:

And yes, I broke quarantine a little early. I just didn't want her to be alone and felt it was worth the risk. Seren is still housed separately, because she's a meanie-face to Cheese. Which I just don't feel Cheese should have to put up with (she bloodied her back in two places. Not cool for an older lady). Thankfully the sisters are really sweet to Cheese. Seren seemed to be ok with the baby girls, so at some point in the (hopefully not too close) future I hope those three can be together. I'm toying with the idea of picking up another girl or two for Seren.....but then there's the worry of possibly ending up with 3 tanks because she's a meanie-face (and still with Seren alone). :roll:

On a side note, I found the exact plushy mouse that I got for Christmas when I was 5 in perfect condition on eBay. Even though I still have my old "Mousey" I was very happy to be able to snatch up that one too. I can't wait to try out it's light-activated nose! I haven't seen/heard (it plays a tune and lights up) it for a long time. I also completely forgot that Mousey had originally had a hat and scarf and his real name is apparently Chatters. :lol: :D :D

My original, beat up old "Mousey"

How he used to look:

Yeah. Mousey has seen better days. :lol:

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:20 pm

Not sure if anyone is still reading :lol: but.....

Meet this little cutie.
No name yet.

She will hopefully be Seren's buddy. I'm not sure how well it shows but she's brown and white, not black/white like Seren. And omgoodness she is a jumper. Blindly leaping away, no care of where she may or may not land. None of my other mice were ever so terrified or careless. Hopefully she'll settle in soon.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:37 pm

You betcha I'm reading! (I also saw the Mousey thing on FB earlier - so cool! Mine was a Snuggle bear, but he's so mangled I'll never find out which version he was originally. :lol: )

So I take it Seren didn't do well the other gals? Or were you always planning to have two groups going?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:29 pm

Seren bloodied Cheeseburger's back in two places. :( Normally, I'd try again in a week or so but with Cheese's age I just don't think it's fair to her. I don't want to separate the sisters, so rather than Seren being alone until Cheeseburger's time I thought I'd get her a buddy. Hopefully she'll play nice.

That's how my husband's "BoBo" was. By the time I saw it, it was just a sort of head-shaped blob. His mom says it was a clown dog that his aunt gave him when he was a baby. Unfortunately we haven't found anything that might be it and he doesn't have any memory of how it originally looked. He doesn't even have "BoBo" anymore. His (at the time) 5 year old nephew stole it and stashed it somewhere and it was never found. That was .....16ish years ago I think. :( I'm always on the look out for any plushy clown dogs from 1981 though!

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:33 pm

I'm still reading! I love your mouse pics. :) Your newest one is adorable.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:34 pm

And thank you guys for still reading! :D I start to wonder from time to time if I'm bugging you guys with mouse things. :D

EDIT: My youngest son has chosen the name Hazel for the new girl.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:39 pm

She is very cute

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above