Akiko

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

megmaholm

Re: Akiko

Post by megmaholm » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:09 pm

Ahh so cute! I love the name, and I have a thing for black and white kitties.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:08 pm

He is stunning!!!!! I have two (brother and sister, inherited from their dad) with that white swirl streak. :D I think it's so unique and dashing.

I have an Abaddon, but she's a scary scorpion. :hlol: We also got suckered into another cat when out neighbor across the street moved and walked around the neighborhood with their cat an hour before they left for another state asking who could take it. My husband walked in the door with it without asking first. :roll: We're fostering her, not keeping her, as much as I want to.

But seriously, who could say no to a cat in trouble?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:14 am

Thanks, guys. It can be difficult to say no but I'm at a point where I have to now. My SIL messaged me this morning asking if I wanted a carpet python that a friend of hers needs to rehome, so I've already got some practice saying "no thanks!" :lol: Abaddon is the last addition for a while. It's crazy how much our vet bills jumped by just adding 5 little mice. I think we've had more sick visits for them now than any other pet we have. And my vet is very generous too so I cringe when I think about what costs would have been if I had to go to someone else. Of course, in comparison with the cost of sick visits for say...Chico the cat, the costs for each mouse sick visit is very low. But they add up and I'm sure there will be more with 3 with health issues. This year, and I know it sounds small, we've spent $70.50 in vet bills for the mice so far. If my vet had charged me properly for all visits and meds, it would have been more like $150+ (and that's still with him counting them as "half visits"). Again, I know that sounds low compared to some but combining that with this year's vet bills for our other pets...yep, gotta start saying no thanks.

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:55 am

Thought I'd give a little update.

Akiko is doing really well. She's such a quiet cat, off doing her own thing, but every now and then she notices I'm still alive. :lol: She'll look at me and make this sort of merrr noise like "oh, you're still here?" then comes over all "since you're still around you might as well scritch my chin!"

Abaddon is a mess. :lol: He's into everything, still hyper and playful. Everytime we change the sheets on the bed he comes running to hide under/in them - zipping around under the fitted sheet like a lunatic. :lol: He can also be quite snuggly and drops off to sleep at the weirdest times. And once he's asleep you can practically do anything with him for a few minutes and he doesn't budge. Seriously, I've seen him drop off the edges of tables and keep right on sleeping.

Chico is doing better. The boxes have been great for him. He finds them and makes use of them pretty quickly. He's also getting more confident in feeling his way around. He's made it up to the third level of the cat shelf, on top of the dog crate, jumps down from the dining room table with ease, and found his way into the shoe cupboard.

And not to leave poor Spiderman out. She's same old Spiderman. Still jealous and snooty with the other cats. You should see the look I get if she catches me paying attention to the others. :lol: Of course I still give her plenty of attention but I think she's still pouting over us bringing Akiko and Abaddon home. One night she came in for our usual bedtime routine (she sits on my pillow and demands attention) but Abaddon was there, at the foot of my bed attacking everything and nothing. Spiderman pretty much sat over by my fan and glared at me half the night. It was pretty creepy actually, waking up off and on to a cat sitting a couple feet away staring at you. Eh, at least I got my whole pillow to sleep on. :lol:
She won't cooperate for pics right now.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:56 pm

Awww she looks so good! We finally managed to rehome all but 1 of the kittens, which of course we kept. Between my roommate and I, we have 5 rescue kitties.

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:20 pm

Yay, glad you found homes! I know that can be tough. You should share pics. :D

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:58 pm

Can I send Shortstack your way? He needs some psycho boys to roam with! :lol:

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:45 pm

I really appreciate the work everyone around here does with rescues. I used to be very involved with rescues in my area, I fostered (with two foster failures and many more fur-ever homes), donated, cleaned kennels at no-kill shelters, offered training services when my skill set was a good fit with the dog's issues. Currently there a multiple health issues going on with my family so it's not feasible at this point. I guess I just wanted to say thanks for your rescue work (and the work of others like you who may read this). It's is so amazing and fulfilling to see an animal with proper care and nurturing make a total 180 in health and behavior. Your cats are very adorable, and very lucky kitties.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:13 pm

Totoro and Tater Tot

Ripley and Spikarita

TJ and Totoro

All my babies. Image

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:43 am

Except for the little white spot in the tail..would pass for Sebastian...I miss him a lot.. but so done with the cat hair, litters, food, ants that seemed to invade our house because of his food, $$$$ vet bills and broken heart...

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:43 am

They're so cute, SG! Ripley reminds me of a kitty I had years ago, called Taryn. :)

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:24 pm

CallaLily wrote:They're so cute, SG! Ripley reminds me of a kitty I had years ago, called Taryn. :)
She went with Jones ( Image ), who is an orange tabby boy, to my friend. They now are responsible for two young ladies and I get pics all the time.
I miss all my babies but they all got good homes so I am very happy.

Totoro is the sweetest cat I've ever had. She looks for me and snuggles and chirps when I am not petting her enough! She sleeps with me and is my baby.

Tater Tot will head bump me when I say "give me a kiss!" and he will lay on my foot, but really he is Connor's. That child can hold him like an infant and pick him up all sorts of ways and snuggle him and he never gets aggressive or hissy at him. I taught Connor to watch for body language so he would know if he was making Tater Tot uncomfortable. The funniest thing is him giving Connor baths to wake him up and when he is upset.

Jayne was feral and only came in because she missed Tater Tot so much. She cried and cried outside my door every day after he moved in and when it iced over last winter, she came in and ate. She will now allow me to pet her and will lay on the bed, but if I move or someone else walks in the room, she disappears.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:14 am

CallaLily wrote: I forgot how much fun kittens are!
Remember when I said this? Well, I also forgot what a pain in the neck they can be when you have a tree up! :evil: :lol:

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:26 am

CallaLily wrote: Remember when I said this? Well, I also forgot what a pain in the neck they can be when you have a tree up! :evil: :lol:
Only thing we can use is a live blue spruce, or a lawn ornament....

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:27 am

I miss having a full size Christmas tree. My youngest cat is almost 7 but he still acts like a kitten and destroys any thing he can so we don't risk it. He also chews wires/cables so I have to be careful putting lights or anything inside the house.

I think cats are worse than kids. :lol:
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.