Halloween Crabs (Gecarcinus quadratus)

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
purpletiger

Halloween Crabs (Gecarcinus quadratus)

Post by purpletiger » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:55 pm

After a long wait, I received these guys yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpgYu47cGNQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbNhwddM5rw

I figure they are somewhat of a novelty in the pet trade as there is not a whole lot of info about them out there on the inter-webs.

I've learned two things in the short time I've had them:
1. Gloves are a must when handling them. (He seems a bit more tame, but she’s passionate about pinching fingers.)
2. They love making burrows, and moving things around the enclosure, and knocking things down… Basically I have to deal with the fact that a neatly decorated tank is simply not possible with these two guys as resident bulldozers.

I realize that this is a hermit crab forum, and it seems hermit crabs are less destructive than my guys, but one of the problems I'm encountering is keeping the food contained in a dish. It's simply not possible. They walk through the dish scattering everything and soon it all ends up in the substrate. I can deal with them messing up the enclosure daily and moving decorations around, but I don't want rotting food in the substrate. Do you guys feed them and then take the uneaten food away shortly after? Or are hermit crabs just neater and the food stays mostly in the bowl?
4 Purple Pinchers: Huey, Dewie, Louie, and Stewie

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Halloween Crabs (Gecarcinus quadratus)

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:57 pm

Wow; aren't they cute?! And their crabitat looks amazing - don't know much about them; but it looks awesome! :)

As for the question; maybe look into a food area? Eg: have the food dish on a container if some sort where they have to climb in/out to get it? That way if they make a mess; they will make it in the container?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
purpletiger

Post by purpletiger » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:05 am

I've tried almost every possible combination of food dishes (different placement, different types) and, if not immediately, at one point they'll find a way to turn it upside down. :cry: I have to find something that is heavier, maybe that will work.

LadyMorrgian

Post by LadyMorrgian » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Oh. How beautiful! I have been thinking about getting a pair myself. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:35 pm

The feeding video is just too marvelous! I love the way the upper crab pinched off pieces of shrimp and popped them into his mouth while the lower crab just kept shoving the whole shrimp up to his mouth :lol: ! So, so cute and very pretty, too.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
purpletiger

Post by purpletiger » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:15 pm

I'm so glad I got to capture that footage. That was the first day that I got them. After they've had a change to build their burrow holes, I no longer see them anymore.

IBlab crab

Post by IBlab crab » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:28 am

So glad I found this thread.Been searching the internet for info on them and would love to eventually care for a few crabs.I do not want to do it unless I have everything I need and researched more.Thanks so much for the video.Please keep us updated on their progress.

PixelPlex22

Post by PixelPlex22 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:59 am

Wow! They are so cute and clumsy

IBlab crab

Post by IBlab crab » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:19 pm

Any updates on the crabs?Are they molting?

Topic author
purpletiger

Post by purpletiger » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:45 pm

IBlab crab wrote:Any updates on the crabs?Are they molting?
Nothing new to write about. Well, actually one escaped out of the enclosure one night and I found him walking around the kitchen. So now I have added books to weigh down the lid. They're strong little buggers. :lol:

Other than that, I rarely see them. When I'm around they're always burrowed in the sand. Also, they don't eat a lot. Sometimes 3 whole days go by without them touching the food at all. I'm trying different foods to see if I can find any favorites that might make them eat more, but so far their eating habits are chaotic.

Also, I don't think they've molted yet but I can't be sure.

JulesRolyCrab

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:51 pm

How did you get them? Like, were they in your petstore, or did you have to visit somewhere else?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:33 am

This is one of the best personal blogs I've seen for this species, if you're interested: http://hmcadventures.blogspot.com/ (Caution, strong adult language.)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:10 pm

wodesorel wrote:This is one of the best personal blogs I've seen for this species, if you're interested: http://hmcadventures.blogspot.com/ (Caution, strong adult language.)
Terrific find, wodesorel! The photos are fabulous (especially sweet Jack) and her explanations of why/how she evolved the crabitat (good old trial and error) really showed her dedication to her crabs.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
purpletiger

Post by purpletiger » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:49 pm

JulesRolyCrab wrote:How did you get them? Like, were they in your petstore, or did you have to visit somewhere else?
I couldn't find them in any pet stores in my area so I ordered them online from Reptile City.

JulesRolyCrab

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:50 pm

That's cool! There are only marine and hermit crabs at my pet store, but some people say you can find Halloween crabs at, like, reptile stores. I'll have to look into that....