Poor Tom's a-homeless! Injured kitty, sob story

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
DragonsFly

Poor Tom's a-homeless! Injured kitty, sob story

Post by DragonsFly » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:03 pm

(I know this is way off the crab topic, but I'm just trying everything I can possibly think of, since it's "kitten season" and we're running out of options.)

URGENTLY NEEDED: indoor permanent or foster home for injured young male cat (now neutered, all shots); NE Arkansas area; can transport some distance for a good placement. Young gray tabby shorthair with pretty painted face, extremely sweet. Picture available at https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/34842502 . His story follows:

This young fellow showed up at our house on Monday, April 4, with an injury to his left rear leg. Our great vet agreed to meet us after hours, and we decided to call him "Poor Tom" after the character in "King Lear" who appears to be a crippled beggar, but is really the son of the good nobleman, hoping that this little guy's true identity would also rise above his initial appearance.

Unfortunately, as "Poor Tom" in the play's story doesn't have the happiest of endings, it turns out our little fellow may also have to live with the consequences of life's cruelties, too. The vet tells us that his leg injury (perhaps a brush with an inexperienced coyote, or slightly-too-slow dog) will probably have some permanent results that will accompany him throughout his life. With an indoor home and good care, he might recover to the point where you'd never notice, but it is also possible that he will never recover full use of that leg--and at any rate, it is essential that he find a home where his life will never depend upon running from a predator, jumping up somewhere to escape danger, or hunting for his own dinner again.

Luckily, his temperament is vastly better suited to being a housecat than a "cat about town." This sweet little guy, being injured and only just having met me, lounged in easy relaxation on the vet's exam table, happily purring to be petted. He accepted all the vet's pokings and proddings--including multiple shots!--without protest. When I visited him again Thursday at the vet, after all he had been through, he was still as calm, easy-going and affectionate as he was on Monday. He'd make a lovely, soft and quiet companion for someone who could use some purring in their life.

If you'd like to see if you can give Poor Tom a soft place to land, and something better than "the life that late he led" (to mix Shakespearean allusions), please contact the rescue (through that link above) for more information!
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

mool

Re: Poor Tom's a-homeless! Injured kitty, sob story

Post by mool » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:07 pm

I posted his page to my FB page. I volunteer with the local humane society and have lots of critter loving friends. Fingers crossed for Poor Tom.

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Thank you!!! I was hoping some people here would have rescue contacts for animals other than hermit crabs. I don't know where you are, but I'm willing to figure something out to get him to a good, caring, permanent home. He is a very sweet boy.

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:59 pm

If I could make a few suggestions?

He needs several good, clear photos of him being active and cute. As much as we hate to think about it, people are shopping online for a new pet and the first image they see needs to make a good impression. When I managed the shelter I had to think about them like clothing or any other product you would go into a store to purchase - are they clean? neat? is there the right selection of what people are looking for? What can I do or say or change to get more people to show interest? Run a 'special' to highlight cats that are always being overlooked because they're shyer or more plain than the others? Is there something that makes this one cat unique? Not just in person, but in the online listings that people are browsing through when they're thinking of expanding their family.

Do you have any photos of his injuries when they were at their worst? Yeah, it's a cheap heartstring pull, but it works to get people sharing his story. Especially if you can get any major rescue - of any animal - to feel bad and share the story.

If you have Facebook, it can be a major boon in rural areas for sharing information and rehoming pets - my local animal bst has more people than some major cities. As with any rehoming method, adoption requirements should be stated and care should be taken to screen potential new owners, but craigslist and facebook are both great tools to reach people.

Facebook is also where shelters and rescues pick up on good deeds and share then to the thousands of followers they reach on a daily basis. My local shelter shares local stories all the time. News channels also get ideas for stories and you never know if yours will be the lucky one.

I don't have much experience with instagram, but that's where the younger crowd congregates and it's really up and coming as well in the rescue world.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:59 pm

Great ideas, thanks, wodes! Unfortunately, I did not think to try to take pictures of his injuries, I was too worried about getting him help. So far, when I go to visit him, I'm only able to pet him in his boarding cage, so it's not a very photogenic setting. Maybe during his follow-up assessment next Tuesday I can get a photogenic vet tech to hold him and look cute with him while I get some pictures. My last visit, the vet did mention the possibility (still remote at this time, but this was the first time she brought it up) of having to amputate that leg, so unfortunately, given the way things are in the world, that might actually make him "more special" to some, I suppose. :(

― G.K. Chesterton

mool

Post by mool » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:16 pm

I'm in Central Texas. One of my friends who volunteers at a different shelter, reposted it.

It may not lead to anything, but you never know.

My "other" passion is rescued dogs. Like I said, I volunteer a lot of time and effort at a local shelter where I'm very involved with the training and marketing of the more behaviorally challenging dogs. I'm also fostering one who was due to be euth'ed for his behavior. I've had him almost a year.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:45 pm

There are people who wait for tripod cats - the family of a friend of mine rescued one decades ago and now they always make room for more that need homes. Everyone has their own thing that they're looking for in an adoptable animal. Our personal rule is no "normal" animal and no animal that had media attention, since those are the ones that have the easiest time finding someone.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

pandaincognito

Post by pandaincognito » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:24 pm

I posted the link on my facebook but they're I'd only one person on my friends list in another state, and she is in Alaska :/ otherwise I'm in southern Texas, so I doubt if anyone goes for it. I'd distance wasn't a problem I could probably do more...
-------
2 small pp, smeegle (m), shellshock (m); 1 small/medium pp, shelldon (f), 1 medium/large pp, Godzilla (m)
1 dog, bender the min pin. And one betta named Henry. I dont know if its a boy or a girl, its still pretty young.

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:40 am

There's an organization of private plane owners who will fly pets to adoptive homes, so distance may not be the insurmountable issue it seems.

― G.K. Chesterton

pandaincognito

Post by pandaincognito » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:54 am

I hope he finds a happy, forever home ^•^ id take him in but its too unstable right now. We are trying to move so its not really cat friendly at the moment.
-------
2 small pp, smeegle (m), shellshock (m); 1 small/medium pp, shelldon (f), 1 medium/large pp, Godzilla (m)
1 dog, bender the min pin. And one betta named Henry. I dont know if its a boy or a girl, its still pretty young.

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:41 am

I know the feeling--we are waiting to hear about a job in another state. If it comes through, we'll have our hands full figuring out how to transport a whole collection of critters, from crabs and housecats/dogs to barn cats and horses.

― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:55 pm

In case anyone was wondering, Poor Tom was accepted by a rescue in Fayetteville, Arkansas that specializes in "hard luck cases" in cats (FIV+, amputees, etc.). I drove him halfway on Thursday, and a retired vet kept him overnight, then he was transported the rest of the way on Friday. So he is in a new place now, and the lady who runs the rescue has said that she "will not give up on him," so he's got a home with her until he can find a forever home (if ever). Thanks to all who shared advice, encouragement, or even just commiseration. :)

― G.K. Chesterton

pandaincognito

Post by pandaincognito » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:34 pm

:D yay
-------