Shrimp? Crabs?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
lostnotfound

Shrimp? Crabs?

Post by lostnotfound » Fri May 06, 2016 5:04 pm

Shrimp aren't crabs, I know, but does anyone with a large tank with a sizable freshwater pool keep any freshwater dwarf shrimp or mini aquatic freshwater crabs (like vampires) in it?

I haven't done it, may not even do it, but am curious about it. I know the vampires need hard water, but some of the dwarf shrimp species don't. Obviously, water parameters would need to be correct per the species kept.

IMS08

Re: Shrimp? Crabs?

Post by IMS08 » Fri May 06, 2016 6:21 pm

Hello @Lostnotfound. I have ghost and cherry shrimp in 2.5 gallon tanks (not in the crabitat) but have experience with them so I think I'd say no. Because you still have to change the water in a filtered pool, if they bred, the babies could be sent down the drain, and it probably wouldn't work in the tank. A large crab would crush a shrimp or possibly try to eat it. I would however, recommend you get a 2.5 gallon tank, put in some Marimo moss balls and gravel and other hideaways like cholla wood and buy a few ghost or cherry shrimp, just for entertainment! They are hilarious! I have a cherry shrimp that had babies and they are about 1/2 an inch and ADORABLE! Hope this helps, and if you are able to, get some cherry or ghost shrimp for a separate tank!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marandashermies

Re: Shrimp? Crabs?

Post by marandashermies » Tue May 10, 2016 2:39 pm

lostnotfound wrote:Shrimp aren't crabs, I know, but does anyone with a large tank with a sizable freshwater pool keep any freshwater dwarf shrimp or mini aquatic freshwater crabs (like vampires) in it?

I haven't done it, may not even do it, but am curious about it. I know the vampires need hard water, but some of the dwarf shrimp species don't. Obviously, water parameters would need to be correct per the species kept.
It is not recommend to have other live animals in with crabs. It will be stressful for the crabs and the critter your adding to the crabs domain. Isopods are fine, but fish, shrimp or other sea dwelling crabs are a no-no. It would be cool to see, but in reality would be harmful for all animals involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1