New Animals

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

New Animals

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri May 05, 2017 7:41 am

Phew! I thought I had a zoo BEFORE.
At one house we still have our three dogs, one cat, two betta fish, and seven hermits. At the other we have one dog, two cats, six pullets (they're still growing and we have a little more time to set up their coop), and a gazillion bees. As far as the ones that can produce things, I look forward to eating (and feeding my hermits :wink:) fresh eggs and raw and unpasteurized honey.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Re: New Animals

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri May 05, 2017 7:46 am

I'm also planting a garden, I'll elaborate on what I'm planting when I get back home. I also plan on growing some herbs in smaller pots.
Captive Bred PP = Randy

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Fri May 05, 2017 8:27 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:Phew! I thought I had a zoo BEFORE.
At one house we still have our three dogs, one cat, two betta fish, and seven hermits. At the other we have one dog, two cats, six pullets (they're still growing and we have a little more time to set up their coop), and a gazillion bees. As far as the ones that can produce things, I look forward to eating (and feeding my hermits :wink:) fresh eggs and raw and unpasteurized honey.
That's awesome! I think about getting some chickens sometimes, but there's not time in my life for a dog right now, much less chickens :) Bees and I don't get on, but I love their honey. :D
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri May 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Love it! Enjoy!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri May 05, 2017 9:38 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:Phew! I thought I had a zoo BEFORE.
Omg I want a beehive so bad but my neighbors would probably kill them. :(

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri May 05, 2017 9:40 pm

We currently have 3 rescue cats, 2 goldfish, 2 marine crabs, 16PP's and 3E's.

We have fostered an iguana, a crested gecko, a ferret, a bearded dragon, a rat, and many other crabs in the past.

One rescue had kittens so we had her 5 babies till they were all fixed and vaxxed, and 4 of them went to new homes.

My ex roommate had 2 rescue cats as well so there were 5 cats who did not all get along in here for a while!!!

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri May 05, 2017 9:48 pm

soilentgringa wrote:We currently have 3 rescue cats, 2 goldfish, 2 marine crabs, 16PP's and 3E's.

We have fostered an iguana, a crested gecko, a ferret, a bearded dragon, a rat, and many other crabs in the past.

One rescue had kittens so we had her 5 babies till they were all fixed and vaxxed, and 4 of them went to new homes.

My ex roommate had 2 rescue cats as well so there were 5 cats who did not all get along in here for a while!!!

Wow! I personally am more of an animal person than a people person myself, so having a lot around is helping me with certain issues I have.
soilentgringa wrote: Omg I want a beehive so bad but my neighbors would probably kill them. :(

We live out in the country now so we don't have to worry about them as much. I didn't even realize we had them until I decided to go for a jog during the day and didn't want people in the house staring at me so I decided to run along the back and far side of the barn, then I was about 2 feet away from the hive before I realized that it was there and a bunch of bees were coming out of the back end. Not going to try that again.
Captive Bred PP = Randy

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri May 05, 2017 9:49 pm

@PinchersAndShells

Yikes!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri May 05, 2017 9:50 pm

And I also understand preferring the company of animals to people.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat May 06, 2017 8:04 pm

soilentgringa wrote:And I also understand preferring the company of animals to people.

Agreed!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri May 12, 2017 7:18 am

I think the chicks are just about ready to move into their coop, they're very interesting! The washtub they lived in for a bit is too small so we turned a large dog crate into their new home for now. We put wood planks on the sides and the bottom was already a tray, then put in a feeder and waterer. The heat lamp sits on top of their crate. They're molting right now and some of them like to fly/jump up and sit on top of the feeder.
Captive Bred PP = Randy

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri May 12, 2017 7:29 am

Tonight before I go to my dad's house I think I'll clean up the crabitat's glass a little bit and take a few pictures. I've made some changes since the last time I took some pictures. Maybe see if I can take some pictures of the chickens too.
Captive Bred PP = Randy

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri May 12, 2017 7:45 am

How fun! My friend has 8 chickens, and we've watched them grow. If the dog crate is large enough, put a 2x4 through the bars for them to hop up on. Chickens love to perch at night for safety. She is an organic nut like me, so she shares her eggs with me because I give her stuff from my garden for the girls :)

I'd love to see pictures of your crabitat! :)

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri May 12, 2017 8:28 am

I plan on completely surrounding myself with the animals this summer so hopefully I will have fun, I do not have any in real life friends and I have to turn in my only device with internet access which is the school computer. I'm afraid of having to deal with some of my mental health issues by myself but I feel like it is my fault for not having anyone to talk to. I do not have social skills and I do not know how to start conversations/keep the conversation going, and I'm very paranoid of other people's intentions. I'm hoping the summer won't suck as bad as I'm pretty sure it's going to.
Captive Bred PP = Randy

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri May 12, 2017 8:29 am

Sorry, that was a bit vent-y. I'm just not looking forward to anything right now.
Captive Bred PP = Randy