? Fiddler Crab ?????

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
EPAS

? Fiddler Crab ?????

Post by EPAS » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:07 pm

I have a 20 gallon tank and really want to make it a crabitat. I wanted hermit crabs, but a 20 gallon tank is not suitable for 2 jumbo crabs. I live in an apartment and I can have a 20 gallon vivarium/paludarium or a 10 gallon aquatic tank.

How would I make this 20 gallon tank a crabitat for fiddler/red claw crabs?
If this tank is not going to be suitable for any crabs, please make a suggestion for its use.
Thank you very much for your assistance.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ? Fiddler Crab ?????

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:01 am

Well, this may slightly unconventional... But once they grow of size, you could adopt them out to another crabber and start over again with some new adoptions from your area. Almost like a long term foster home.
But I personally think that starting out with fids or red claws are a great idea. I'll wait for Wod to give the dets, since she has kept them before and can probably offer more than Im able to.

I recommend a beach area of some sort, ideally a place they can dig in. To reduce bacterial blooms, Id recommend not sloping the sand out of the water, but keeping it in a water tight container of some sort. You might need a ramp, or some type of structure (rocks, wood, plastic plants, plastic ladders for birds, DIY ramp with acrylic or glass with sand siliconed on ect) so they can access their beach. A small heating unit, around the mid 70's, salt water mix so you can make brackish water, which is preferred in red claws and fids for longevity. Basically mixing the salt at half strength with yield brackish water. A common salt brand that many recommend is instant ocean, but any that is for marine aqua will be fine. Dechlorinator is a must, unless you have your own means of free chlorinated, chloraminated, heavy metal-inated water.... A small filtration unit would be advised, to stop things from going stagnate and allow the crabs good access to 'fresh water', like a small internal unit made for fish. Anything from an air driven filter, to a small power filter will work well, i tend to recommend a power filter since they usually have a stronger flow rate so allows the filter to collect debris, containing waste in one place for a mostly easy removal. You may want some type of substrate, i recommend sand as it keeps their poo on the top, rather than gravel which falls in between the grains. A small python so you can do water changes easily, and maybe a dedicated 'crab bucket'... Other than that, decoration and a tight fitting lid to reduce escapees... and the crabs themselves! :lol:

I recommend learning about the nitrogen cycle in aqua so you have an idea on how to set up and what to expect in the firdt few weeks as the tank matures....
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
EPAS

Post by EPAS » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:02 pm

Thank you AussieJJ Dude for your suggestions and advice.
I have the eco earth, saltwater and sand mixed at 5:1 ratio. I mixed it in a small plastic storage container. I was going to plant chia and flax seeds, but just have this container inside the tank.
I was given a new turtle filter and heater that I could use and I have a screen lid.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:57 pm

If you started with two tiny hermits, you wouldn't need to update for 5 to 8 years. A lot can happen in that time. While I applaud anyone who is thinking that far ahead, when it comes to hermits I don't think that kind of time frame is something to be too concerned about. If you want hermits now, I say go for it.

For fiddlers, a knowledge of fish care is a must. They are sensitive to water quality and there is a learning curve to maintaining an aquarium. They are far more aquatic than terrestrial as well. I loved mine, they were hysterical to watch and I miss them. In a 20 gallon tank with lots of decor you could keep one male with a harem of females, probably around 5 to 7. Like JJ said, read up on cycling and the nitrogen cycle first. The one nice thing is that the salinity does not need to be perfect, since they are estuary and are used to fluctuations.

Red claws I'm not very familiar with. I remember reading that the care they give at the pet store is of course wrong. I believe they are freshwater and mostly aquatic but don't quote me. I recommend Wet Web Media for advice, Neal is the brackish guru.

Vampire crabs are rainforest and terrestrial. Orin posted a few months back about them, he literally wrote the book on captive breeding them.

Other true crabs like moon and patriot get pretty large as they get older. A 20 gallon long might work for them, but I don't think a tall would give them enough space. They are not communal.

Sorry I didn't get around to answering your PM, tapatalk kept eating my response!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
EPAS

Post by EPAS » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:23 pm

Thank you very much Wodesorel.
I will check out the nitrite cycle and Wet Web Media. I will do some research before I decide.
Again thank you.

Jellybean!

Post by Jellybean! » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:10 pm

I second both!

I had fiddler crabs for a couple years and I LOVED them! They are just goofy to watch. My tank was a 10 gallon and I had a male and 2 females inside. I actually had the sand sloping out of the water, but when it entered the water, I put small rocks/gravel on top so that it wouldn't mix with the sand. For me, it worked really well and then the sand underneathwould still get wet, but not too wet and the crabs would make tunnels in it. One of my fids ended up carrying eggs in the tank a couple times so that was really neat too! I also had a waterfall type of filter in mine (from Walmart) that worked well for me too. I think if you can do it and learn about the water, go for it! I lost mine when I transferred them to a new 20 gallon tank, and I believe it was the water issue. You'll have to post pics if you decide to get some!
14 PPs
Follow my hermie instagram account: jellyhermies