Aquariam Hermits?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author

Aquariam Hermits?

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:59 pm

I buy lots of my crab supplies at a private Tropical salt water fish store and Ive looking at some of there sea hermits they have there and I think that they would be really cool. And I'm wondering if any of you guys have any experience with these like setup, cost and care of them i planing on getting some sort of book on them. Any Advice would be great.

Thanks.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:19 pm

I can't say I have experience with a marine aquarium setup, but I have done a little research and know that they can be very expensive and take lots of maintenance. I'd love to attempt one, but not till I have more space and time to put into it. The bigger the aquarium, the easier it is to maintain.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:49 pm

I've never had them myself, but I've heard from others that any kind of saltwater tank is pretty expensive and needs a lot of time. But on the return side salt water tanks are so beautiful and if you can get coral in there (VERY expensive) they are unlike anything else. If you have the money, I'd say go for it and get the salt water stuff, but it is a lot of work.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:03 pm

My husband is going to set up a salt water tank in our 55 as soon as I move the hermies over to the 75. Hes done some research and found that it is going to be quite the expensive hobby, lol. The marine hermits I believe need a reef system. You are looking not just at the tank, but the lights, the wave system (cant remember what its called), the live rock and sand, ect. It can get very expensive very quickly. He has decided to go with just a regular salt water tank for now instead of the reef system, but I dont know yet if the hermies can live in a regular salt water tank. As soon as I find out Ill post for you :)

Angela

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:58 pm

I kept a small reef tank for awhile (26g). It was a lot of work. Just making your own saltwater and keeping it was a pain...for marine fish the salinity level has to be pretty exact...and you have to mess with pH, and all the other water tests...I don't know if you've kept fish before but they are much more work....worth it though. I had to keep a 50g trash can full of saltwater, with a heater and powerhead for water changes. Saltwater hermits are quite a bit different. They do best in reefs where they act as 'cleaners.' I just keep freshwater now...I'll go back to marine when I can afford a much larger tank (300g or larger) and pay for someone to maintain it for me.

Hermies can live in a FO tank (Fish Only, not reef)...you just have to make sure they're getting enough algae and also supplement their diet...definitely keep fewer of them though.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:45 pm

I have kept them before. I had a 12 gallon that was devoted just to them. All you need is the basic saltwater setup. It isn't that hard (or too expensive) If you plan to only keep hermies. If you want fish tahts when you dive in the wallet. Go to www.aquatic-hobbyist.com for more information on marine setups. They can guide you inot all that you need to know better than I can.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:58 pm

Thanks for the replies I went to the Marine Fish store today (same place i buy my hermit crab things) and I looked at the little sea hermits they had they had a lot you could get 10 for 10 bucks. I was not planing on keeping fish just the crabs, I already have a left over fish light that I used to use on my 10gal land hermit tank. I think I'm gonna check them out they seem pretty neat as long as there no to much of a pain :shock: