starting a nano reef

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
rednerite

starting a nano reef

Post by rednerite » Mon May 17, 2010 9:25 am

Hey everyone,

So I just wanted to share that I've decided to start a nano reef tank for MHCs and probably a couple gobys.

Anyone have any experience with a small tank like this? I decided to go with the Oceanic Nanocube 8 gal. size. I wanted something small that would fit on my desk, wouldn't need to get a stand for, etc. And it has everything all set up and ready to go with the exception of the heater and thermometer, test kits etc.

I went to my local aquarium shop that is very reputable and specializes in fish. So my nanocube is currently cycling, I used live aragonite sand, got some base rock in there, the live rock is in to help it cycle, and used a live pre-mixed salt water for a quick easy start.

Anyone else have similar experience?
7 PPs: Arji, Ernie, Bert, Godzilla, Mothra, Shelley, Peewee
2 Violas: Alto, Clef

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Mon May 17, 2010 10:58 am

I used to have the oceanic bio-cube 8 gallon (now I have the 14 - I know - so it's another 6 gallons so what!). Like all of the AIO tanks they need upgrades if you want anything but mushroom corals. There is a group called nano-reef.com and they have all sorts of information available.

Be aware though that the group is somewhat different that this one.

Keith

Topic author
rednerite

Post by rednerite » Mon May 17, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks!

I wasn't really thinking about or planning on going crazy with corals. Mushroom corals is exactly what I had in mind, I read that they're easier to keep and good for beginners. Mostly I'm just interested in having a few crabs and maybe a couple gobys to watch and have for entertainment.

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Mon May 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Then you picked a nice little tank.

Keith

annopia

Post by annopia » Tue May 18, 2010 1:25 pm

i used to have a 14 gallon biocube solely with marine hermits, and must caution you that you must be very very careful with your care of a small tank. any little disturbance which changes nitrates/nitrites/ammonia/pH will impact your tank greatly, unlike in a larger tank where things would be more spread out. so constant vigilance! but they are very rewarding pets...good luck...seen what species you'll have yet?

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Tue May 18, 2010 1:36 pm

Very true - one of the best investments you will ever make is an auto top off system. Not very expensive but it will keep your salinity rock solid.

Keith

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:02 am

TIP!
Let the Tank Run (Cycle) for at least 2weeks before adding Corals.
Do get some Live rock and some Live Sand.
This will help your Tank cycle.
I really enjoyed my Nano.
Welcome to the HCA! Advice for the Stressed, Owners and Crabs alike.
Been Crabby Since 8/16/05 Land, Marine Hermit Crabs Since Summer '04
Currently Have 4 PPs. I have Countless Successful Molts!
MY "Lil Dudes"

Topic author
rednerite

Post by rednerite » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! I let my tank cycle with live rock and live aragonite sand for a little over a month to be on the super safe side, and it is now a well established tank stocked with a couple astrea snails and some marine hermit crabs.

Next step is to add some shrooms and maybe some zoas, and I have decided on a citron goby and maybe a royal gramma for fish!